Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Universe In A Nutshell The Physics Of Everything With Michio Kaku: Video Presentation

Comments

• Hi Ted,

Thank you for Linking to this excellent video from Professor Kaku. He is in his usually brilliant form with clear and understandable explanations. Great stuff.

But his brilliance is being dissipated with his commitment to String Theory research. That branch of science has been doing high cost experiments for years with little positive output. Their multi-dimensional world ( maybe like 11 dimensions) remains a mystery. Give me that old-time religion of Newtonian physics.

Best Wishes.
  • @MJG: Glad you liked it. In the video, Professor Kaku talked to you, not at you!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted- Hey, that's a really good video. Thanks much!
  • Deep.
  • edited July 2015
    @Ted - Thanks for the link. That was an interesting discussion. I noticed the comment about the Higgs boson not being discovered that suggested to me it was a few years old. But the broad sweep of the presentation made that detail unimportant ( home.web.cern.ch/topics/higgs-boson )

I appreciated the @MJG comment about the appeal of old time Newtonian physics. But, my suspicion is that Newton's original mind would thrive in the 21st century world and that he would use the tools now available to continue his search for God's fingerprints by pushing the boundaries of knowledge forward.

One interesting experiment now being conducted at Fermilab outside Chicago involves looking for evidence we live in a four dimensional "video display" universe created from minute pixel-like dots of subatomic information. That finding would strongly suggest the four dimensional reality we experience is a holographic projection from a two dimensional surface (the Matrix movie scenario!). There is a growing body of theoretical work suggesting this may be the case.

For anyone who is curious, here are a couple of links related to that research:

1. fnal.gov/pub/presspass/press_releases/2014/2-D-Hologram-20140826-images.html

2. motherboard.vice.com/read/why-government-researchers-think-we-may-be-living-in-a-2d-hologram