Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Life For Climate Scientists

Regardless whether you agree with their research or not it is evident that climate scientists are now the most depressed academics in the world: esquire.com/news-politics/a36228/ballad-of-the-sad-climatologists-0815/
Here's an excerpt:
"Scientists are problem solvers by nature, trained to cherish detachment as a moral ideal. Jeffrey Kiehl was a senior scientist with the National Center for Atmospheric Research when he became so concerned about the way the brain resists climate science, he took a break and got a psychology degree. Ten years of research later, he's concluded that consumption and growth have become so central to our sense of personal identity and the fear of economic loss creates such numbing anxiety, we literally cannot imagine making the necessary changes. Worse, accepting the facts threatens us with a loss of faith in the fundamental order of the universe. Climate scientists are different only because they have a professional excuse for detachment, and usually it's not until they get older that they admit how much it's affecting them—which is also when they tend to get more outspoken, Kiehl says. "You reach a point where you feel—and that's the word, not think, feel—'I have to do something.' "

And Another one: "No one has experienced that hostility more vividly than Michael Mann, who was a young Ph.D. researcher when he helped come up with the historical data that came to be known as the hockey stick—the most incendiary display graph in human history, with its temperature and emissions lines going straight up at the end like the blade of a hockey stick. He was investigated, was denounced in Congress, got death threats, was accused of fraud, received white powder in the mail, and got thousands of e-mails with suggestions like, You should be "shot, quartered, and fed to the pigs along with your whole damn families." Conservative legal foundations pressured his university, a British journalist suggested the electric chair. In 2003, Senator James Inhofe's committee called him to testify, flanking him with two professional climate-change deniers, and in 2011 the committee threatened him with federal prosecution, along with sixteen other scientists."

Comments

• Everyone in coastal areas will be depressed in a decade or two, in all senses of the word. Maybe there will be a rising-seas etf soon. New dike, stilt, pump technologies. I gotta go trademark some of these words....
  • edited July 2015
    @David, From an investor's perspective even if only half of what climate scientists are predicting comes true there will be huge implications for financial markets, but since Wall Street tends to think only in quarterly increments at best--lately it seems like traders think in microseconds--nothing significant will be done investment wise till some major catastrophic event occurs. And by then it will be too late. Energy efficient washing machines and light bulbs, though a step in the right direction, unfortunately are not enough.
  • Lewis...even the Pope is not immune from the wrath of deniers.
  • @PressmUp, The saddest thing I think in the article is that some of these climate scientists have now been leaving the U.S. because they can't stand the political attacks anymore. I've always thought of America as a country scientists would flock to, not flee.
  • edited July 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice, You're right the parallels between climate science deniers and Galileo are striking. If only Galileo had the financial backing of the most powerful industry on earth, was feted by a major media conglomerate and supported by the majority of Congress of the most powerful nation on earth, they would be identical.
  • Maurice's link appears to be over eight years old, so I would think that this issue must surely have been settled long ago. I do take his point regarding decertification, though. I wouldn't support something like that either, even taking LB's observations into account.
  • What I read was Cullen stating: “If a meteorologist has an AMS Seal of Approval, which is used to confer legitimacy to TV meteorologists, then meteorologists have a responsibility to truly educate themselves on the science of global warming.”

It seems that we're talking about a broadcasting "Good Housekeeping Seal" for TV weather folk, not trained scientists.

"Most weathercasters are not really scientists. ... barely half of them had a college degree in meteorology or another atmospheric science. Only 17 percent had received a graduate degree, effectively a prerequisite for an academic researcher in any scientific field." Columbia Journalism Review, Jan/Feb 2010.

So much for legitimacy. The Seal of Approval was a performance stamp (did these weathercasters communicate well?), not a recognition of scientific competence. Unfortunately, many weathercasters present their own opinions as fact, which doesn't seem to merit commendation for good communication.

In any case, AMS discontinued awarding Seals of Approval in 2008.

• +1 msf, again
  • edited July 2015
    @MSF "It seems that we're talking about a broadcasting "Good Housekeeping Seal" for TV weather folk, not trained scientists."
    Regarding the author of the article Anthony Watts attacking Cullen and climate change:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Watts_%28blogger%29
    "Watts assisted with the setup of a radio program for his high school in Indiana,[11] and later attended electrical engineering and meteorology classes at Purdue University, but did not graduate or receive a degree.[2][12] In 1978, Watts began his broadcasting career as an on-air meteorologist for WLFI-TV in Lafayette, Indiana.[3]"
    Regarding his attacks on climate science in general:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=dcxVwEfq4bM
    The latter link is not only illuminating but good for chuckles.
  • Ted, thanks; just amazing and depressing.
  • Thanks, Ted, for the article. It is depressing, but also a good sign that climate scientists are approaching the religious community. This is actually an area I think science and religion can agree upon. What could be more pro-life than wanting to stop climate change from killing many species and people on the planet?
  • msf
    edited July 2015
    As usual, my suggestion is to go to the source (though the Scientific American article was an unusually good encapsulation).

Here's Pew Research's own summary of the Pew Research/AAAS survey: 5 key findings on what Americans and scientists think about science

Pew's longer report on the survey: Public and Scientists’ Views on Science and Society

The latter contains links to the full report (111 page pdf), the questionnaire (Appendix C of the full report) - with responses and comparisons with earlier survey results, the Pew PR on the survey, and an interactive page, where you can look at results broken down by age, ideology, etc.

That last one looks like fun (or a way to get depressed, as Lewis and David noted), and I'm playing with it now.
  • msf
    edited July 2015
    Regarding science and religion, here's a current (June 2015) Pew study: Catholics Divided Over Global Warming, subtitled Partisan Differences Mirror Those Among General Public.

Here's the latest (July 14, 2015) Pew survey across nations (Climate Change Seen as Top Global Threat), showing that climate change is the top concern for emerging nations (Latin America, China, India, South Africa and some other African countries), while US, Canada, Australia, Western Europe are most worried about ISIS, Russia is more concerned about economic instability, and Eastern Europe is most concerned about Russia.
  • edited July 2015
    @MSF, I do think Catholic Republicans are now in a tricky situation with the pope making such a strong declaration regarding climate change as a human-induced threat. Regarding the other survey, I wonder why China's survey results are so low for every category. Are people there not worried about anything or terrified to admit they're worried publicly? Similar results in Pakistan. I sometimes wonder how much culture affects survey answers. Is it considered shameful to admit one is concerned in China?
  • @Lewis, I believe there are plenty of concern. Censorship is what limiting China's free flow of information reaching to the rest of the world. Same goes for their market information from the local sources.
    topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/china/internet_censorship/index.html

It is well established that the government is willing to trade-off their environmental health for industrialization. Recent maternity tourists is an example of the richer class citizens who are willing to have their babies born in the States. Trouble is that these families need to return to their polluted cities when the visa expires.
    bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-13/chinese-maternity-tourists-and-the-business-of-being-born-american

@MSF, Really thanks for your tireless efforts in getting all these references. Still reading while I am on my second cup of coffee.
  • @little5bee, It's temping to say you reap what you sow to Florida except for the fact that the many Floridians who do believe in climate change and think their coasts are at risk are now being held hostage by those who don't and refuse to do anything to prevent a crisis. I can feel nothing but sympathy for them.