Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CEF Preferred Funds

Don't understand the weakness in these Preferred funds, PDT and FFC. Trading at discounts to NAV, over 8% distributions, NAV are steady doing better than market price. Outstanding management.

Comments

• @ron: In the preferred stock fund space I prefer PFF.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I'd agree Ted if I would have been able to buy it back when you did. Instead I'm stuck with FPF. No complaints.
  • PDT is only 68% preferreds. They have about 30% in straight equities- with a large allocation to utilities. FFC is a good fund, but only trades at a -2% discount. There are some other preferred CEFs trading at double digit discounts- JTP, JHP, JPC, JPI, PSF and a few others.
  • other holdings, some bonds and equities are the drag on performance for both PDT and FFC. With an 8+% distribution, patience will pay off as in pervious years. Quality is the difference.
  • Wish bought more in 2009. Do you think these are overpriced?
  • John, I'm sorry I can't give you an informed response since I hold what I consider to be the best funds for my age (81) and objectives. While I don't think they are overpriced, they were my best holdings for past year and no intension of selling.