Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

UCLA Health + CVS Photo, Costco Photo and Wal-Mart Canada Photo Stores Hacked

Comments

• It was also a really bad week for Internet users.
    https://thehackernews.com/2015/07/java-zero-day-vulnerability.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheHackersNews+(The+Hackers+News+-+Security+Blog)&_m=3n.009a.1005.qp0ao05ps1.kso

"Three previously unknown critical zero-day vulnerabilities were revealed in Adobe’s Flash Player over the weekend, thanks to Hacking team data Breach in which 400GB of internal data were leaked over the Internet.
    Now, a new zero-day vulnerability has been reported in Oracle’s Java that is reportedly being exploited in the wild by hackers... According to researchers, the vulnerability affects only the latest version of Java, version 1.8.0.45. Though the older Java versions, Java 1.6 and 1.7 are not at all affected by this zero-day exploit. So far, there isn’t many details disclosed about the Java zero-day bug, considering a patch is yet to be released by Oracle. Although hackers are exploiting the zero-day flaw through drive-by-downloads attack."

The Adobe Flash Player breach must be the most serious; Firefox went from blocking the plug-in's use on me to basically inactivating it "until further notice." Since my browser's operation worsened with this, I just went to the Control Panel and completely uninstalled the program. I'll depend on Firefox to let me know when it's safe to go back in the water with this one.
    As for the Java bug, Java updated on me this afternoon and has a new version number. It was a quick one, so I assume it was the patch for the bug.
  • I installed Flash Player 18.0r0 on Wednesday and have not had problems.
    Mozilla Firefox Re-Enables Flash on Web Browser Following Security Updates Releas
    e

Java 1.8.0_51 was available by July 14th.
    "New Java 1.8.51 has been released" (blog post dated July 14th).
    Oracle Jave SE download page (Java SE 8u51)

I'd finally gotten around to 1.8.0.45 this month. Annoying to have to administer on what seems like a weekly basis.
  • @msf
    After Firefox expressed their extreme disgust with Flash Player early in the week... well, that didn't take long to win back their hearts. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Regarding Java auto-updates....... I guess I must be on the B party list.:(
    Annoying? yessirree! Why, it's as if everything is trying to emulate Windows IE.:)
  • edited July 2015
    I uninstalled flash player and discovered that BoA's ShopSafe doesn't work without it. Creepy.

MS updates always messes with my office and I am SICK to death of repairing it. As for JAVA, I delete it, need it, install it, delete it, need it, ....

Makes one appreciate apps since I don't really expect much and would never use them for something important to me. (Not that add-ons aren't the same thing but older.)