Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What's an Icahn?

Hi Guys!
What do you think of Carl Icahn? As I have been watching him on CNBC, does he know anything or is it all bull? I do like his style --- he's old so he doesn't give a sh**. He talks bluntly.....tells it like it is.
God bless.
the Pudd

Comments

• Icahn has been quite successful over time and I think has gotten to the point where the filter is gone and he tells it like it is. I've posted his stand-up comedy before, it's quite funny.

You can invest with Icahn if you want via Icahn Enterprises, which is a conglomerate of various businesses plus exposure to Icahn's hedge fund. SYMBOL: IEP. It is an MLP, so K-1 and all that at tax time.

• Carl Icahn Calls BlackRock a ‘Very Dangerous Company’
    By MATTHEW GOLDSTEIN and ALEXANDRA STEVENSON JULY 15, 2015
    Mr. Icahn went into a long and sometimes rambling rant about why he sees some exchange-traded funds, a popular vehicle for trading baskets of stocks and bonds, as potentially dangerous to the market. Specifically, he singled out higher-yielding bond exchange-traded funds, or E.T.F.s, which he said did not create sufficient liquidity in the markets.

Mr. Icahn conjured up an image of Janet L. Yellen, the chairwoman of the Federal Reserve, and Mr. Fink pushing a pile of high-yield bonds toward a cliff.

“They are going to hit a black rock,” Mr. Icahn said, with a look of mischief on his face.

Criticism about E.T.F.s is not new. Several studies have examined the impact of these securities, which trade just like stocks. But Mr. Icahn’s critique seemed more of a stream-of-consciousness attack than a well-thought-out thesis.

After Mr. Icahn’s long monologue, an exasperated Mr. Fink interjected, “Carl, you’re a good investor, but you’re wrong again.”

The two had an audience of hedge fund managers and investors laughing out loud after a long day of panels at the CNBC Institutional Investor Delivering Alpha conference.
    At one point, Mr. Fink, trying to end the rant, offered to take Mr. Icahn to lunch where they could continue their conversation and he could explain to Mr. Icahn why his views on the dangers of E.T.F.s were wrong.

Mr. Fink even said he would pay for lunch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/16/business/dealbook/carl-icahn-calls-blackrock-a-very-dangerous-company.html?_r=0