Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Year's Free Wages That Resulted in the Novel "To Kill a Mockingbird"

edited July 2015 in Off-Topic
"Over 30 million copies of the book have now been sold, and it has been translated into 40 different languages. In 2009, it was reported that Lee was still earning $9,249 every day in royalties from To Kill a Mockingbird. At the moment, it’s estimated that Lee’s estate is worth about $45 million, and it’s estimated she’ll be earning $3-$4 million every year until she dies—and likely as long as the copyright lasts after her death, too."

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/03/years-free-wages-led-harper-lee-writing-kill-mockingbird/

My Thoughts FWIW:

Today, Harper Lee's "other" novel is being released. It's called "Go Set A Watchman." Critics note that it appears to be an earlier "unworked" edition of Mockingbird rough around the edges stylistically. Noteworthy is that Lee was near 90 before consenting to its release. Watchman, though written before Mockingbird, takes place about 20 years later. You've no doubt heard that it's setting sales records and has become hotly controversial due to a much different Atticus Finch that emerges - one who's a racist and bigot.

I can't get excited about the new Atticus. I've always, I'm afraid, been more interested in style rather than substance when it comes to fiction. Mockingbird is a stylistic and thematic treasure. By all accounts Watchman is not. But if it succeeds in promoting sorely needed discussion of the race issue in this country, than a great purpose will have been served by its release.

About: "Go Set A Watchman": http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/entertainment/2015/07/13/harper-lees-new-novel-big-harry-potter-amazon-pre-orders/30073769/

Comments