Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Now that just about everything is fixed, err...repaired; where to go with next week's money?

edited July 2015 in Fund Discussions
Probably shouldn't be using a word like "fixed" when discussing investing markets.:)

A formal title for this, perhaps should be something like: "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Thank you, Mr. Bob Seger for this insight thought.

As to next week July 13; well, and I don't know why:), but I still feel a little twitchy about Greece getting a real short term fix.

And I suppose I should be keeping in mind that only some of China equity is trading. 'Course, this country likely has enough real capital monies to shape whatever it needs for its internal equity markets and citizens.

Ms. Yellen's note on Friday about a small bump in rates didn't seem to bother the equity markets; and Europe had a very nice day, on Friday.

Other than the above items, is this as normal as it gets for the near future.......?

Well, anyway; from recent further reductions in investment grade bond holdings, our house has about 4.35% of a portfolio cash position that will be deployed next week, or at least, more than likely next week barring major baby black swans being born. Well, that's the thought at this time, anyway.

'Course, been looking at the oversold or down trodden areas. Latin America, as an example, is still a mess, IMO; and will likely remain in the dumper for the future. Not interested in commodities at this time, with the possible exception of energy; which we have been watching for so many months. This area is still having a rough time gaining upward momentum.

For the curious (yes, we all are, eh?) our current mix (evolving over the past two years) is:

---equity, 67.4%
---investment grade bonds, 28.2%
---cash, money market, 4.4%

EQUITY breakdown
---health/bio/pharma, (mostly U.S.) 41%
---blend U.S., VTI / ITOT type, 25%
---int'l, (mostly Euro), 20%
---real estate U.S., 14%

Well, the health related stuff is still happy; and the blend equity is around +2.4% YTD and the Euro area is doing well, too. U.S. real estate has been in a funk, but has had positive moves during the past few weeks, but this area remains in the negative for the year in the -3% range, depending upon the fund. Many IG bond holdings are pretty much flat and/or slightly negative YTD.

Just a little thinking outloud, Sunday morning, not enough coffee yet..........words.

Hoping that you find your investments, and you, to be happy during this "interesting" markets period.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• TedTed
    edited July 2015
    @catch22: More equities than bonds, now your talking !
    Regards,
    Ted

Against The Wind: Bob Seger:
  • Not coin much -get paid this week. Maybe buy energy stocks or bonds. 80.20 in tsp
  • edited July 2015
    Short answer: I don't know.

Perhaps above caption/question is offered tongue-in-cheek. However, it's highly unlikely anyone sits down on the weekend and decides how to invest during the coming week. (And anyone so inclined would soon run amuck of mutual fund trading restrictions or be eaten alive by trading costs.)

So I must assume your initial post and question are intended only as a conversation starters, rather than as a serious question. But geez, just couldn't resist the gentle dig.

Maybe I'll add more thoughts later. Beautiful sunny day to work outdoors. Gotta go.
  • edited July 2015
    Morn'in @hank

You noted:
    "Perhaps above caption/question is offered tongue-in-cheek. However, it's highly unlikely anyone sits down on the weekend and decides how to invest during the coming week. (And anyone so inclined would soon run amuck of mutual fund trading restrictions or be eaten alive by trading costs.)

So I must assume the initial post and question are intended only as a conversation starters, rather than as a serious question."

>>>The "problems" being "repaired" was tongue-in-cheek for the most part. But, moving the cash to something productive this week was serious. And, no; this would not be an over the weekend decision, but is part of the our normal watching (trends) that is a cumulative process for the investments. We already have quite a bit of money towards the various sectors of healthcare related; but may place more into this area, too.
    We wouldn't run into restrictions with Fidelity for too many mutual fund trades with any money moves this week. And we have moved more towards the etf area which would not cause a trading problem, as well as the numerous etf offerings at Fidelity (Fidelity and I-shares) for broadbased sectors that are available without a commission. Worst-case is that etf trades would be $7.95 cost via online purchase.

Fidelity etf offerings

I expected some thougths, which is why I posted the equity holdings breakdown we currently are invested into. So, serious to that aspect.

Lastly, and not related to the above is that we may have a short period of time in mid-August to stimulate the Michigan economy and the initial plan is to visit Leelanau county for a few days. Have not been to this area since the early 80's. Hell, should have purchased real estate there and then.:) Anyway, you know this is a beautiful area, eh?
    I snooped around online for this and that for the area, as was surprised to find so many "for sale" real estates listings for that county. About 1,000 listings for all property types, and about 140 listings for waterfront. 'Course, some of this is condo listings and also tied to a portion of Traverse City. Zillow Leelanau waterfront Appears that "some" of the listings are not in Leelanau county....a Zillow problem I guess.
    Today, we are more of the "we'll rent a property for a week, versus buy a second property". We have "dirt", 1.5 acres, in Eagle Harbor; but that is "not" the west coast of Michigan; and will likely become inherited property, as we don't plan to sell; unless approached with a "offer that is too good to refuse". Tis a long way from downstate Michigan and this area has about as much traffic from Chicago and/or Minnesota, as Michigan. A much different part of Michigan from the downstate, populated areas. And as you know, too; a lot of the west coast (Lake Michigan) has property owners from the Chicago area, aside from Michigan owners over the past 100 years.
    Eagle Harbor Michigan

Hey, take care; and thank you for your thoughts and time.
    Catch