Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Oppenheimer Funds Says Puerto Rico Can Pay Its Debts; Governor Says No

FYI: Puerto Rico's governor says the island's $72 billion debt load is too big to pay. OppenheimerFunds Inc., the largest mutual-fund holder of the bonds, disagrees.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20150711/FREE/150719987?template=printart

Comments

• Ted posted earlier that Oppenheimer muni funds have significant exposure to Puerto Rico bonds, > 20%, while the more conservative Vanguard funds have less than much lower exposure. Vanguard High Yield Tax Free fund has the highest exposure at 1.5%. The more pertinent question is why and who should be responsible to the investors.

There is no free lunch in investing. Juicing the yields have its consequences as Oppenheimer is facing today.
  • @Sven- yes, sounds like more chickens coming home to roost. Or maybe vultures? At least you can eat chickens!
  • If already posted, my apologies, but "Treasure Island" has an ace in the hole:

puerto-rico-new-age-tax-haven
  • @bee- I propose that MFO incorporate and that all of us become entitled to take advantage of the Puerto Rico deal. Maybe as long as each of us spent a couple of weeks there we could satisfy the residency requirements as an official MFO entity. I like it!