Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Apple's Stock Falls Into The Danger Zone

FYI: Shares of Apple (AAPL) Thursday continued their steep fall, violating several ominous key levels and starting to cost investors some real money.
Regards,
Ted
http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/2015/07/09/apples-stock-falls-into-the-danger-zone/

Danger Zone: Kenny Loggins::

Comments

• Apple's iPhone sale has sizable exposure to emerging market, particularly China. Recent decline indicates that Asia market condition could impact the upcoming iPhone 7 release. At p/E 15 would you own Apple or Microsoft? I take Apple anytime.
  • I believe the stock has jumped out of the danger zone with the big gain today.
  • This thread has the sense of tabloidism in it, especially with the gratuitous video embed.
  • Ted is having fun with his video but I enjoy them too...
  • edited July 2015

This thread has the sense of tabloidism in it, especially with the gratuitous video embed.

So your thought on the post:

In all seriousness, the Apple situation is fine if someone has even the least bit of long-term view. The watch did not do well and I think is a fair amount of the move lower lately beyond what is going on with China and Greece.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-watch-may-not-be-ticking-with-customers-2015-07-07

All of the technicals in the world matter to someone who is trading. If you have longer-term view in the company, it's: Did the watch sell? Yes/No. Are people excited about yet another iPhone? Yes/no. Are the few people who bought the watch upset that they are already working on an upgraded one and the first watch is barely out? Perhaps. Is Apple going to do something so that they will not be 70% or so reliant on iPhone sales? Magic 8-Ball says: reply hazy, try again later.
  • I have already commented. In addition there are countless millions of new investors who put money into AAPL because of its popularity and success. They believe it is a sure thing.

Now the stock drops a few percent and these nervous newbies pull out. The media piled on with debunked stories like the Bret Ahrends hit piece over at Marketwatch. Add in the hedgies and its a perfect recipe to drop a good stock over very little negative news. The smart people have added money along the way. I think the stock will go up from here until the 20th. Who knows what the ER will be or if sell on the news is in effect.
  • edited July 2015
    Late 1990s or 2000. Apple at $3.00 ..............Jesus, how I wish I could have, back then...!!!
    *P.S. The video is a hot one. I like it. No worries.
  • I debated years ago putting $10k into AAPL when it was channeling between $14 and $20. It had just cleared $21. I thought it was expensive so I waited for the next downturn.

It never happened. I always wonder what if regarding that $10k. Makes for good conversation.
  • Novice investors don't have the patience and long-term view. My only regret is that I didn't own enough of AAPL when Steve Jobs returned to Apple. It has since grow to near the single largest holding in our portfolio.