Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Energy Sector Breaks To New Lows

FYI: All that base building that occurred for the S&P 500 Energy sector over the first half of the year was for naught. As shown below, the sector broke a huge support level today to close at a new 52-week low.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bespokepremium.com/think-big-blog/energy-sector-breaks-to-new-lows/

Comments

• beebee
    edited July 2015
    What is interesting is a comparison of the resource (Oil, Natural Gas) and the Energy Service companies (Drillers, shippers, refineries, Midstreams, chemical, etc.).

Low energy prices are like low interest rates for some companies because it lowers their input costs.

Also, frackers are stuck between a fracked rock and a hard place. "Refracking" will be a term we hear being mentioned going forward. It happens when a well is left idle and needs to be reopened. What some "refracked" wells are enjoying is an increase in previous output by as much as an additional 30%.

Storage (contango) will also be a goal for some energy producers.

The Energy sector (VDE, XLE) is one of my bottom fishes:

bottom-fishing-for-funds-and-etfs

Ticker-------Off 52 wk Low---Off 52 wk high
    XLE, VDE.....1.42%....................28% - Energy
    FCX.............2.87%....................63% - Natural Gas
    USO.............11.4%...................55% - US Oil Producers
    UNG.............5.06%...................46% - Natural Gas

And here's commodities:
    GCC............1.8%......................23% - Commodities

Might be a good time to dca (dollar cost average) into these inflation fighting insurance policies. Especially those that have most of their downside worked into the price and still pay a dividend.

In my opinion, "cheap" dividend paying stocks can act like bonds.

Finally,

"A strong dollar also has a negative impact on the oil price, which rebounded this spring as the dollar went
    through a period of temporary weakness. Brazil and Russia, both major oil exporters, would go through
    another round of pain if oil heads back down. Manufacturing-focused countries in East Asia, among them
    South Korea and Taiwan, would likely benefit from cheaper energy."

Source:

USAA Investment_Outlook_Mid_Year
  • Hi Bee,
    I agree with you and am thinking of adding to BBL, but I just want to point out an error in that report you quoted: Brazil is actually a small oil importer. Petrobras is a mess and could use higher oil prices, and they would help the ethanol/sugar sectors too, but for the overall economy it's probably a wash. The price of iron ore, on the other hand, is deadly.
  • edited July 2015
    expatsp said:

Hi Bee,
    I agree with you and am thinking of adding to BBL, but I just want to point out an error in that report you quoted: Brazil is actually a small oil importer. Petrobras is a mess and could use higher oil prices, and they would help the ethanol/sugar sectors too, but for the overall economy it's probably a wash. The price of iron ore, on the other hand, is deadly.

Brazil is a mess. Retail sales in the toilet, too.

In terms of energy, ETE holding up remarkably well in terms of pipeline cos. The commodities futures companies (ICE, CME) also doing very well while oil ... doesn't.
  • NO relief from gas prices in the southern qter. of the dairy state.
  • @Derf: You obviously don't understand the laws of supply and demand. The oil companies demand that you supply them with lots of cash.
  • Old_Joe: What else is new !
    Enjoy the day, Derf
  • edited July 2015
    I note that within the MAPOX portfolio, XOM holds the 5th-largest position, as per Morningstar. Over 2% of the portfolio. And Morningstar gives the company 4 stars, and good marks and a rather bright outlook, despite some well-known headwinds for the industry, generally:
    "The company is the world's largest refiner and one of the world's largest manufacturers of commodity and specialty chemicals." But look at this:
    http://www.morningstar.com/news/AscPress/urn:publicid:ap.org:b9b73c6eca0841e2bb2abf4868e4fa75/Environmental-groups-Lesniak-to-argue-against-Exxon-deal.html
    Anyone know where we are with this thing?
  • Exxon could pay either amount from the change they scrounge up from under the cushions of their leather office furniture and never beat an eye. They have more lawyers than NJ has money.
  • That makes sense.
  • edited July 2015
    Energy makes up about 8% of the S&P 500 Index. I am currently overweight the energy sector by about 1% as I write by holding a little better than 9% in the sector. At this time, I don't plan to add more. However, the fund mangers of the funds that I own, just might. Hopefully, it will gain some upward movement soon.
  • edited July 2015
    Big bounce today in commodities, but still on life-support. Like the "insurance" analogy bee made. Iron ore leaped nearly 10% in a single day.

Have considered "re-converting" the Roth conversion of a commodities fund in January. Off around 7% since the conversion date. Looks like I'd have until October to make such a move. But my instincts tell me to hang tough. I like that I've already burned-up more than 6 months of the 5-year holding period too.

FWIW
  • @bee I think I'd like a little more "downside worked into the price," :) but definitely a sector to be moved to the top of the Watch List. By year's end, should have a better lay of the land.

http://www.crossingwallstreet.com/archives/2015/07/energy-resumes-downtrend.html