Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Okay, quite the rotation today from the negative to positive. So, the selling is done, eh?

edited July 2015 in Off-Topic
Well, what do I know; except that there was a lot of reversal today from the losing side to the positive.

This includes many of common equity sectors of both the U.S. and some Euro area funds (which are U.S. etf traded).

Ah, probably just the 70% of the machine trades that hit some downward buy algo.

So, Asia area should open well; except perhaps China mainland.

Lastly, as expected; investment grade bonds retained their strength.

Hang in there.
Catch

Comments

• I suspect the machines as well. I went to bed with the markets doing poorly and woke up to this.

Still settling out here.
  • catch22 said:

Well, what do I know; except that there was a lot of reversal today from the losing side to the positive.

This includes many of common equity sectors of both the U.S. and some Euro area funds (which are U.S. etf traded).

Ah, probably just the 70% of the machine trades that hit some downward buy algo.

So, Asia area should open well; except perhaps China mainland.

Lastly, as expected; investment grade bonds retained their strength.

Hang in there.
    Catch

So except for China, Asia should do well? Sorry...that caught my attention.

• A sea of red in Asia at this moment.
  • From Bloomberg breaking, 43% of China stock market has been suspended. That's gonna hurt
  • edited July 2015

From Bloomberg breaking, 43% of China stock market has been suspended. That's gonna hurt

There is an utter freaking panic over an index that is still actually up for the year (although after tonight perhaps not) and up quite nicely for the 12 mo period. We have truly crossed into bizarro world.

I mean, the fact that nearly half an index is suspended while an index is positive YTD is utterly absurd but here we are.
  • edited July 2015
    Something will give soon.

Commodities appear to signaling a severe global recession. "Bottomless Pit" as of late. In hindsight, the drop in oil prices nearly a year ago may have been a precursor to what we're seeing in China now.

I'll be surprised if the Asian conflagration doesn't spread to the U.S. equity markets unless halted soon.

I'll be surprised if the Fed doesn't try to plug some holes in the dike soon with appropriate FedSpeak and some retrenching on plans to raise rates.
    -

Catch - I don't think you can read much into the day-to-day meanderings of U.S. equities. 100-point swings on the Dow amount to very little at these levels. And, I hope you held on to your bonds. Might come in handy soon.
  • edited July 2015
    Gundlach said today that the China markets resembled the NASDAQ of the dot.com days.
    YTD
    +492.44 (15.22%)
    1 Month
    -1295.98 (-25.80%)
    3 Month
    -234.26 (-5.91%)
    6 Month
    +376.60 (11.24%)
    1 Year
    +1667.75 (80.98%)
    imageimage
  • If the Fed gets worried they will make the call and the WOPR goes online.
  • edited July 2015
    Hi @hank

Oh, I recall very clearly the multi-100 point swings in U.S. equity markets in the fall/winter of 2007 and early 2008 when many of the "pros" were still yelling all is well in "investment land".
    Yes, still have about 40% bonds with the vast majority of investment grade. Sold all of the direct high yields last year. 'Course, the IG stuff has been flat and more so far this year, except as of the last week or so. May have to swing some equity back into more IG if things get too stinky.
    Hey, take care up there and knowing you'll enjoy the summer months.
    Catch
  • The morning sell took the S&P 500 below the 200-dma so buy programs kicked in. A little surprised at what got bought but pleased that energy was in the basket.
  • edited July 2015
    Hi @scott

Just arrived home at 10:30pm to check stuff..........yikes

And yes, the China index still has a wonderful 1 year term return. 'Course, from my recall; the leaders of China still want about 7% annual growth. Don't know, perhaps they think they have found the magic economic formula.

Related to your notice about the China situation: a short write, a few charts and twitter feeds:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-07/china-futures-plunge-8-over-half-stocks-suspended-margin-debt-crashes-most-record
  • The CSFC (China Securities Finance) is asking for 500 billion yuan to support the market. This via Bloomberg.

The next few hours are going to tell the story. Tomorrow will be interesting.
  • Hi @JohnChisum
    Keep a watch for us. Have to arise at 6am and to bed I must go now !
  • It is ugly over hear. Hong Kong is down over 7%. Nikkei down over 3%. Shanghai down 5.9%. All indices are down. Europe coming up soon.
  • Europe is switching to green. Hopefully that will be the trend.