Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The World's Richest People Lost $70 Billion Yesterday

FYI: (The Linkster, who still has some skin in the game, lost $70,000 yesterday !

The world's 400 richest people lost a combined $70 billion on Monday as equity markets around the globe were hammered on fears about Greece and declines in China fueled by leveraged investors exiting the market.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-30/the-world-s-richest-people-lost-70-billion-yesterday

Comments

• That would be real news if they then would not still be the world's richest people as a result:)
  • Hi @Ted
    Am I to believe that with your statement, "lost $70,000 yesterday !" ;indicates that you sold portions of your portfolio, for a loss? I will presume, that with your knowledge; your portfolio was down this amount; but not a loss.
    Our portfolio was down, too; but July 1 indicates a replacement of much of this amount, if the markets don't "jerk" for some other reason(s). Our down was smoothed by investment grade bond holdings; but I don't expect, at this point, much more positive action from this group, as I scratch my head about this area.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • @catch22: Yes, it was paper losses !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • If the Linkster has positions in AAPL, he will make a lot of that up today.
  • @John Chisum: I own Apple through two funds, SPY 3.94% of fund, and QQQ 14.22 % of the Fund. As I stated in a previous message , don't get to excited by their watch, search engine 'Spotlight' or music app., APPL is still all about phones.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited July 2015
    @Ted,

Not bad for an accredited investor such as yourself.

With those kind of losses, I pegged you to have about 5.5 million invested. That $70,000 paper loss sum would have resuled from a decline of about 1.25% on $5,500,000.00 invested.

Have a good day ... and, good luck to you. And, by the way, luck is defined, by me, as the result of good preparation finding opportunity.

Your bud,
    Old_Skeet

• Hi @Old_Skeet

What is the 1.25% decline you noted? How is this number derived?
    Just curious.

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited July 2015
    @catch22

SWAG ... Scientific Wild Ass Guess based upon a few assumptions.

Old_Skeet
  • That's all Ted?! You slacker.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2015
    @Old_Skeet & @catch22

FWIW, Old Skeet's SWAG ran very close to our loss as a % yesterday (6/29). The $70k/$5.5m ratio was very close to our experience.
  • MJG
    edited July 2015
    Hi Catch22,

Old Skeet is being very humble when he claims that his portfolio value estimate was simply a SWAG.

Most likely, he did what I infrequently do to easily and lazily estimate the impact of a day's action on my portfolio. I need just two market return numbers, and a rough asset allocation approximation.

For Monday's debacle, the broad US equities were down 2.2%, and the Developed Foreign equities were down about 2.3%. Most investors have a 60/40 equity/bond mix with maybe 15% in foreign equity holdings. That's suffificent info and assumptions to estimate Monday's losses, further assuming the bond positions don't contribute much in a single day.

The calculated loss for each one million dollars in a portfolio is simply 0.022 X 450000 + 0.023 X 150000 + 0.000 X 400000 = a minus 13,350 dollars per one million in the portfolio. If the total loss is about 70,000 dollars, the approximate value of the portfolio is 70,000/13,350 X 1,000,000 or about 5.24 million dollars. That's exactly how I do my quick and dirty calculation.

I congratulate MFOer Ted on having the resources to suffer that loss. It might hurt a little, but he and his portfolio survive to fight yet another day. We all do that. We all understand and accept the risks.

Best Wishes.
  • Considering that Ted recently significantly lightened up his portfolio, the whole picture is very impressive indeed. Good for you, @Ted!
  • @MJG
    Twas not that I don't know how to do the ballpark math; as I do this all of the time for our portfolio. I was curious as to Old_Skeets number and what brought him to this conclusion.

Easy case for what Ted mentioned would be to pick 5 balanced/moderate allocation funds and discover the average down for the day in question. Magico-Presto, eh?

I've always been very good with head math........

Each week at our house for the true numbers, I use a handy-dandy and most reliable, HP-12C.

I'm sure your example may have been of benefit to someone here; but I am surprised that you would choose to explain your method to me.......my being in the game of life for so many years.
  • Hi Maurice,

I am puzzled by your RPP submittal. I checked and it has a host of possible meanings like Registered Professional Planner and like Registered Pension Planner.

In what context did you use RPP?

Best Wishes.
  • Howdy @Maurice

Choose wisely from this list, eh? :)

http://www.acronymfinder.com/RPP.html
  • Hi Catch22,

No disrespect intended or implied in my example calculation. I was simply responding to your question about how Old Skeet did his estimate. I just defined my way. It certainly is not the only way and is likely not the best way.

When submitting on this forum, I. always assume some neophyte investors who might benefit from a detailed explanation that is presumably redundant for highly seasoned investors.

Best Wishes.
  • @MJG & @Catch 22- That's a pretty long list of acronyms, but my money is on "Rich People's Problems". I'd also go with "Rape, Pillage and Plunder" for place or show, but that's just my better nature trying to emerge.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.