Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Blackrock Seeks Approval to Set-up Internal Mutual Fund Lending

edited June 2015 in Fund Discussions
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-27/blackrock-seeks-sec-clearance-for-internal-fund-lending

"BlackRock Inc. is seeking government clearance to set up an internal program in which mutual funds that get hit with client redemptions could temporarily borrow money from sister funds that are flush with cash."

Hmmm.... so what's Blackrock expecting?

Additionally, I would not be thrilled if I owned an equity fund or a l/s fund and the fund was forced to lend to a bond fund facing significant redemptions.

Comments

• Same here. This maybe a stretch. Isn't spreading the risk of subprime mortgages among credit worthy ones in individual security a good thing back in 2007-2008?
  • Could this throw screws into the machinery of fund research?
  • This is an established practice in place already at other mutual fund companies.
  • "This is an established practice in place already at other mutual fund companies."

This I did not know and the article mentions it as well. I do know that fund companies have lines of credit they can access if need be.
  • 1998 WSJ article: Mutual Funds Take Steps to Ready for Redemptions (link is google search)
    "Currently [1998] only four fund firms have permission from the US SEC to make such "interfund" loans. But several other fund companies [are moving in that direction] in light of the global economic turmoil.

"The first firm ... was Fidelity ... in 1990. Two other fund companies, Stein Roe .. and Janus also received interfund-loan authority in 1996 and late 1997 respectively.

"Vanguard ... applied ... two years ago .... T. Rowe Price has an application [pending]. Franklin Resources ... say[s] they are considering [applying].

"Earlier this month ... Fidelity made an interfund loan after one of its funds had an unexpectedly large withdrawal of cash."