Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

World Markets React to Greece.

2»

Comments

• edited June 2015
    @Kevin, Yes but our interpretations differ. I do not see the U.S.'s spending on social programs as being particularly high. It ranks low on the OECD's list. Moreover, GDP isn't the only source to pay for social programs. America has a total household net worth--total household assets minus total liabilities--of $85 trillion as my other link shows. It wouldn't be very hard to tax a portion of that net worth via the estate tax and other means to pay for a portion of social programs.
  • @ LewisBraham: It is not particularly high on a relative basis, but most importantly, it is far more than we can afford. And despite ever increasing welfare spending, we are not winning the war on poverty:

The War on Poverty After 50 Years

And wealthy liberals (Buffett, Clintons) and conservatives can afford the smartest accountants to avoid the estate tax and other measures to redistribute their wealth.

Kevin

• @MFO Members: When Maggie speaks, the Linkster listens.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited July 2015
    @Kevin I have no problem calling Clinton and Buffett out for tax evasion. That has nothing to do with the basic fact that there is plenty of money to pay for the U.S.'s social programs. Clinton did a lot of stupid things as president as do most presidents. Do you have a problem calling out presidents from the other side of the political aisle for their stupidity--say starting a multi-trillion dollar war with a country that never attacked us?
    You are also aware that the majority of federal spending for social programs goes to Social Security and Medicare not LBJ's War on Poverty programs, right? https://russellsage.org/sites/all/files/Jencks_NYReview_Books_pt2.pdf