Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Hi @LewisBraham

I will do this re-do from my post a day or so back.....

If there is a view of any or some of this come Monday to the negative, then those who have watched their investment grade bonds ,bite the big one, so far this year; will find an improvement in pricing.........being the likes of IEF, TLT, TIP, LQD and other similar bond notions.

Contagion, nationalism, ego, corruption, legal staddles and other items are also part of this mix.

I wish all well with their investment fishing expeditions. I'll be watching the Asian markets openings and trading in currency and IG bonds.

I'll forgo my write about Greece and related. Those here who want more info may readily discover what news they need.

Lastly, Ted noted that he was out of the markets; so he'll do just fine, eh?

And yes, we continue to live in interesting times........and Greece is the word, AGAIN and for the past 5 years.........contagion.

Take care,
    Catch
  • @Catch I don't know if there will be any contagion, but volatility I would certainly expect on the menu this week if some sort of amicable resolution isn't worked out.
  • Any market moves will be emotional and short lived.
  • edited June 2015
    Hi @JohnChisum

You feel the big money will buy the dips here and there?

I truly do not choose to find any extended madness....... credit markets, etc.

Although the situation has run far too long; and I suspect in part because their are still those who remain concerned about outcomes.

Edit; Yes, John; perhaps a buying opportunity, in some areas; for those with the means and gonads.

Take care,
    Catch
  • I cannot speak for the big money but there might be buying opportunities in good stocks as this unfolds. Apple will be the same the day after as an example.

While I don't wish hardship on anyone, anyone who had money in the banks at this hour was not very smart. People have gained from good pensions and other benefits that need to be cut now. They blame Germany for demanding concessions even though Germany has been giving them loans. Tsipras is either a fool or a clown. He is using brinkmanship when he has no legs to stand on anymore. Greece's economy is a minute one on the world stage.

They have ran out of "other people's money" but they want the party to go on.
  • Any market moves will be emotional and short lived.

Of course this is just a guess, but with the continued upward trend we've seen, and the notable lack of any type of retrenchment approaching the fairly normal 10-20% variety, the market may just be aching for a spark to begin this healthy consolidation.

• Kind of have to agree with my buddy Ted on all this. Greece hasn't been relevant for over 2000 years! This all seems media driven. If they go austerity and pay their bills, great. If not let them forge for themselves out of the EU. Why should that affect the markets? I know it will, but very short term.
  • Could be. My opinions are just that and I could be very wrong. I've been there before.

If anything can be learned from this, it would be to not leave your money in the bank when things are headed south and don't wait until the last minute. Greece is a predominantly cash society.

I feel bad for any tourists that have stayed there during this. They would be best to get out of Dodge so to speak.
  • edited June 2015

They have ran out of "other people's money" but they want the party to go on.

I feel bad for any tourists that have stayed there during this. They would be best to get out of Dodge so to speak.

Greece won't be the only one in that situation by the time this period is said and done.

As for tourism, I may look at the Dolphin Fund I mentioned a while back again if that drops to some ridiculous new low as a result of this. http://www.dolphinci.com/

http://www.dolphinci.com/investment-portfolio/greece-overview/

http://www.dolphinci.com/investor-relations/shareholders/
  • I should add, I see two types of reactions in the markets. One is based on reality like a bad earning report. The other is based on emotion. The rising interest rates story and Greece top that list. The markets will probably react when the Fed raises the rate by 25 basis points but we all knew it was coming for what seems to be an eternity. After investors realize that the world didn't end, the opposite will occur.

The media has a huge hand in this. These two stories have been ongoing for years now and still the media is chomping at the bit trying to push this for all its worth.