Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Rivernorth Starting a P2P Lending CEF

Comments

• If anyone knows how to hold these funds in an IRA let me know. I've had the worst time trying to set up an account directly with them. They have a partner they supposedly work with, but they don't return calls. Thanks.
  • @Shostakovich: You should be happy they didn't return your call. A peer-to-peer CEF is the last thing you need. If and when the fund ever gets off the ground, it will be only a matter of time before it appears on Ron Rowland's ETF Death List.
    Regards,
    Ted

SEC Filing:
    http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1644771/000139834415003871/fp0014694_n2a.htm
  • FWIW: I thought I came across an article, last week, that banks were starting to get into the game by lending to companies that operate p2p ?? They wanted a piece of the action!
    Derf
  • Ted -- my bad, I meant their mutual funds !

Cheers, and thanks for responding.

D.S.
  • "Marketplace Lending Instruments are generally not rated by the nationally recognized statistical rating organizations and could constitute a highly risky and speculative investment. The Marketplace Lending Instruments in which the Fund may invest may have varying degrees of credit risk and the Fund will not be restricted by any borrower credit criteria or credit risk limitation. [...] It is possible that, at any given time, the Fund’s portfolio may be substantially illiquid and subject to increased credit and default risk. If a borrower is unable to make its payments on a loan, the Fund may be greatly limited in its ability to recover any outstanding principal and interest under such loan."

@Shostakovich Oh, good Lord, listen to @Ted --- just stay away! I have no idea how this fund will ever be able to meet '40 Act compliance requirements. In fact, this fund probably should not be approved as a '40 Act fund. P2P... sounds like "B2B." Remember what happened to the gimmick funds that were set up for those? Didn't last long.

@Ted It won't appear on Rowland's ETF death list.... 'cause it's a CEF (picky, picky, picky):)
  • "Marketplace Lending Instruments are generally not rated by the nationally recognized statistical rating organizations and could constitute a highly risky and speculative investment. The Marketplace Lending Instruments in which the Fund may invest may have varying degrees of credit risk and the Fund will not be restricted by any borrower credit criteria or credit risk limitation. [...] It is possible that, at any given time, the Fund’s portfolio may be substantially illiquid and subject to increased credit and default risk. If a borrower is unable to make its payments on a loan, the Fund may be greatly limited in its ability to recover any outstanding principal and interest under such loan."

@Shostakovich Oh, good Lord, listen to @Ted --- just stay away! I have no idea how this fund will ever be able to meet '40 Act compliance requirements. In fact, this fund probably should not be approved as a '40 Act fund. P2P... sounds like "B2B." Remember what happened to the gimmick funds that were set up for those? Didn't last long.

@Ted It won't appear on Rowland's ETF death list.... 'cause it's a CEF (picky, picky, picky):)