Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Most Managers Don’t Own Enough Google And Facebook — Does Yours?

FYI: Google (GOOGL) and Facebook (FB) might seem like crowded picks by fund managers. Think again.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2015/06/24/most-managers-dont-own-enough-google-and-facebook-does-yours/tab/print/

Comments

• edited June 2015
    If a fund has FB in it's top 10 holdings and it's not even a technology fund, I avoid it. Heck, for a tech fund, I don't want a large holding in FB or any social media site for that matter. FB in particular I despise and consider a 'fad' and a 'herd' trade for fund managers. (Not a FB user, either)

GOOG is more a tech infrastructure play in my view, and I have no problem with holding it (which I do). But social media like FB, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc? They're nothing special imho, and I'm a career geek. Couldn't care less about them financially or for their 'role' in the 'tech' world.....Facebook is not a 'tech' company in my view anyway - it's a consumer communications & consumption company.
  • Agree 100% with that, rforno.
  • I agree on FB. As for Google, I think there is a great deal of potential in a lot of what Google is doing and the Google of 5-10 years from now I think may look very different than the Google of today (nothing against the Google of today, which is a very solid company.) That said, I do think there's a point here where Wall Street is losing patience with Google and the calls for returning money to shareholders via an Apple-like dividend have grown louder.

The other point of interest about Google is that the spread between GOOG (no vote) and GOOGL (voting rights) shares has widened noticeably since the company paid out the price for the spread between the two share classes that was agreed upon after the C class shares were distributed. It was generally around $5, then started widening as the date approached. Now the spread is $20-25 +/-. Kinda interesting.