Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Look How Much Weight We've Gained Since the 1960's

Comments

• I have always believed those who brag are about to meet their comeuppance in some shape or form. Hopefully in my case it won't be a stroke or heart attack soon but.....
    I weigh the same as I did when I graduated high school in 1965. But at least I will admit it wasn't necessarily all my doing but was simply the luck of the draw - good genes and metabolism.
  • I do a lot of heavy work in the garden at my new place, landscaping, wall building and all that. I needed some jeans that I wouldn't mind getting trashed but that weren't themselves junk, so I went to eBay and bought two pair of used Levis in my size.

The difference between the two pair was startling: they had the same nominal size (waist and inseam) and were both "relaxed," but one pair was a noticeably snug and the other was fairly loose. Upon more careful reading, it turns out that the first pair was vintage 1970s and was relaxed for the typical (young?) male body back then, the other was made within the past five years or so.

A fascinating glimpse into our changing selves.

David
  • Aaaarrrgghhh. I walked more than 8 miles on that treadmill yesterday. (Game was on tv.) Then I lifted weights. Then I took the waters, downstairs at the gym. And I had GAINED 3 pounds. If you're familiar with the old joke, "scales and sheep LIE." Grin.
  • What exactly do the sheep lie about? (he asked innocently...)
  • Back to Junkster & msf's thread - very good news if you're selling annuities.:)
  • @Scott: Health care these women don't need no stinkin health care.
    Regards,
    Ted
    She's Too Fat For Me: Frankie Yankovic: