Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How To Add Alternative-Investment Funds To A Portfolio

FYI: Adviser suggests three approaches, from including alternatives at the edges of a portfolio to going all-in.
Regatrds,
Ted
http://www.wsj.com/articles/three-ways-to-add-alternative-investment-funds-to-a-portfolio-1433952256

Comments

• edited June 2015
    I, basically, used option number two except I studied the funds I wanted to add through Morningstar’s Instant Xray Analysis tool to make my fund selections and to also know when I had reached the desired alternative allocation by analysis of the portfolio as a whole. Some of the funds I selected were not alternative funds themselves but held a good allocation of alternative assets or employeed special strategies. For me alternative assets are those assets other than traditional assets such as stocks, bonds and cash and would also include special strategies.

Currently, my portfolio’s asset allocation Xrays at about 20% cash, 20% bonds, 50% equity and 10% other assets (alternatives). Within stocks I am about 60% domestic and 40% foreign; and, among styles split about 70% to large caps and about 30% to mid & smalls caps.
  • Man, it is hard to believe someone gave the editorial goahead for such thin and obvious gruel. Wonder what it paid.