Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What's Behind Door# 1, 3, 5, 10???

Sooooo, let's see what you would do with your portfolio if you had to put things into 1-3-5-10-year buckets......and the one where, after death, your heirs will deal with it?!!
Year 1: The What's Hot Now stuff as overseas mine DODFX, RERFX, FMIJX.
Year 3: Say what might be -- FMEIX, FSCRX, FSENX, GLFOX, MAPIX.
Year 5: The Who Knows Zone --- healthcare --- GLRBX, PRBLX, YAFFX --- things that will be there.
Year 10: The core -- index funds -- health, again -- bonds.
Til Death --- insurance --- house --- toys you have, i.e., cars, boats, coins, guns -- and the forever stocks, bonds & funds land.
Just some ideas......what I would like to see is what a Board of Many thinks.....because of the ranges in ages, wealth, upbringing, etc., where you live as well as many other things.....how you think about the rest of your life. Something to give pause to and sip a longneck over....at a slow point in time, maybe.....
God bless.
the Pudd

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Who in the world invests like this?!?
  • It seems to be a hybrid bucket/sleeve style portfolio but the funds are misapplied. It should be set according to years, like 1-3 years out, 4-7 years out etc.
  • In some, maybe many, respects you seem to have it precisely backward. Or something. GLRBX shd be nearer bucket, FSCRX way farther out. Strangely jumbled in other ways too.
  • Hi puddenhead. Seems more like you are trying to time investments in the short term and over the next 10 years rather than establish a true bucket system. A bucket system goes from very conservative investments to aggressive investments and the aggressive bucket replenishes the conservative bucket every few years when needed. In my thinking it is a method used when you are drawing down investments, ala retirement. Maybe you are just using the "bucket" terminology incorrectly(?). Google 'Bucket System Investments' and take a look.
  • Hi guys!
    My thought was maybe a lot mis-stated, let's say. I should've said mid long-term....my use of the word "buckets" was not well chosen. The funds I chose are funds I own now. In three (3) years, I will retire.....soooooo, what I'm looking for is what to do after that mid- and long-term. A poor way to start the conversation, and I humbly apologize for that. Many of my friends are seeing financial advisors. I'm not sure that's what I want to do. So, I'm trying to get ideas for down the road. Funds for the long haul....I am waiting now for a friend who will see an advisor---one that many from work use. I want to see what he says. All my life, I've been investing for short- or mid-term......cars, houses, college, etc., --- so when I retire, there will be no paycheck to offset losses.....no pay raises every year or overtime to help out. It's kind of scarey to think this way. Also, if I gave all my money to somebody to invest, what would I do? No reason to check the market or to slide that buy or sell order in as you sit there with a smile 'cause you're all that and a bag of chips today. I saw what Ted said about cashing out.....I'm not sure that's what I want to do. Maybe split the money.....
    the Pudd
  • Sounds like you and I are in about the se place nearing retirement and thinking what to do investment wise going forward. I can tell you what I did.

I was downsized a couple years ago but was able to pick up with another company at the same pay. This allowed me to move my 401k to an IRA with Schwab. I picked Schwab because they have a local office here that gave me access to a financial advisor - for free. Also chose them because of all the products they have to offer.

To make a long story shorter, I split money 3 ways. A 3rd in their robo syst, Intelligent Portfolio, a 3rd in their managed Windhaven portfolio and the remaining 3rd, for the same fun reasons you gave, self manage.

Hech, we are all different, but this is what was most comfortable for me leading into retirement. I'm happy with my choice.