Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stocks that could pass as Mutual Funds

beebee
edited June 2015 in Fund Discussions
Has anyone approached owning a single stock as an alternative to a mutual fund, but for more of the same reasons (diversification and cost)?

Here are some examples of stocks that act like mutual funds:

-Conglomerates - A conglomerate is a company that owns two or more companies that are in different industries (General Electric for example) seem to fit the bill as single stocks that are made up of multiple divisions or companies. Motley Fool put this list together of Diversified Conglomerates:

diversified-conglomerates

and The Street Ratings this shorter list,

-Berkshire Hathaway's holdings might resemble a mutual fund as suggest by this article:

warren-buffett-is-a-mutual-fund

and,

better-than-index-funds-buy-a-conglomerates-stock

Comments

• edited June 2015
    Danaher, Jardine Matheson, Berkshire and Hutchison Whampoa (now CK Hutchison after it was restructured) are primary examples I own.

Blackstone perhaps fits. I own two of Brookfield's spin-offs.

Leucadia and Loews are examples, but neither has done well for a while.

Icahn Enterprises (IEP) - which is an MLP - is another example.

• edited June 2015
    Capital Southwest Corporation, CSWC, is a publicly traded investment company located in Texas that invests in other companies, both private and public. Not too long ago, this was a large holding in the Pinnacle Value Fund. CSWC is preparing to spin off some of its assets into another company which will be spun-off to shareholders.
  • BRK.B, GE, MIC, NPK (diapers, military gear and pots & pans) along with BX and KKR if you're including them. Although Mr. Buffett would say I need to concentrate I am unable to decide upon which ones should be let go.
  • Almost forgot the Liberty companies. LMCA, LVNTA, QVCA, LBRDA, etc.
  • Nice post!
  • Add to the above, HON and virtually all of the components of XLY, consumer staples stocks.