Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Massive Data Breach Of Federal Workers

edited June 2015 in Off-Topic
Breaking news on CNBC now. Described as "massive", "could effect every single US government agency." "4M employees impacted." China accused.

"Dow Jones reported that a government source called the breach one of the largest thefts of government data ever."

Fireeye, Palo Alto Networks and other security names higher AH.

Edited to add: Link - http://www.cnbc.com/id/102730155

Comments

• Sadly, most people are not paying attention to this story as they are focused on either the NBA Finals or the Bruce whatever his/her name is now Jenner saga.
  • edited June 2015
    Well, I guess it's credit freeze time; should have done it long ago. Between my husband and myself we have had a steady and overlapping membership in the data monitoring clubs. We have 3 to 4 going on right now and now we potentially have another. We had both a state and a federal job and 50-75% of the data breaches have been job related breaches. I don't know what it is that even governments don't get about the utter foolishness of requiring every piece of data inside of every data base. (Of course, I do understand why the head of HR (OPM) would have all the data but in front line hack positioning?) I'm getting too old for this. Some day I'm going to be 99 and ditzy as all get out and one of the data base keepers will send me a little email to some defunct .mil address telling me I need to sign up for a free monitoring program.

And the government thinks the cloud is just the neatest thing ever.
  • edited June 2015
    A few years ago my brother had his personal info hacked from a previous employer. He got the free credit reporting and all that. Everything seemed to be okay until last year when his income tax return was rejected because it had been already filed. He provided the necessary documents to the IRS and they gave him a PIN number to use along with future tax filings. Then afterwards, the IRS was hacked. He is waiting for the next episode in all of this.

Security should be at the top of the list for govt. and businesses and also personal. Unfortunately, these hackers are very good. It's their profession.
  • edited June 2015
    The original estimate was that 4M workers were effected. Now CNBC says 9.5-14 million possibly effected.

Fireeye (FEYE) and Palo Alto (PANW) up on a down day.
  • @MFO Members: In this space, I like CHKP
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited June 2015
    @scott German Parliament having a little bit of a problem as well.
    http://www.itworld.com/article/2934135/security/german-parliament-may-need-to-replace-all-software-and-hardware-after-hack.html

Doggonit, can't we all just get along?:) Ha, fat chance of that!
  • The security breach is more expansive including security clearance application. This could compromise intelligent agents working oversea.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/chinese-hack-of-government-network-compromises-security-clearance-files/2015/06/12/9f91f146-1135-11e5-9726-49d6fa26a8c6_story.html
  • edited June 2015
    Per the story linked by @Sven ..............
    "Privately, U.S. officials said the Chinese government was behind the breach. The administration has not publicly pointed a finger at Beijing."

>>>So, just SHHHHHH !!! , eh?

And if the breach by whomever does involve decades of files regarding security clearances; the breacher(s) will be able to know more about me, than my parents.

As the saying goes; "Life is a bitch and then you die."

Getting the time machine fixed so that I may return to the early 1950's, when the only thing I might be upset about was the temporary outage of BB's for my Daisy rifle.

Otherwise, it is just a "move along, there is noting to see here" thing.................
  • With you, Catch22.