Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Goldman Sachs Asked Two Of The World's Best-Known Economists If U.S. Stocks Are In A Bubble

Comments

• At first I thought the title was the opening line to a joke but I must have missed the punchline in the body of the story. Anyway, paraphrasing Warren Buffett, "What do you have when you employ an economist in your company? One too many employees.
  • edited June 2015
    Siegel bullish? Wow, huh, I would never have guessed.
  • To read GMO's 1Q 2015 Letter, which contains Ben Inker's "Breaking Out of Bondage," and Jeremy Grantham's "Are We the Stranded Asset?
    A brief update on the U.S. market: still not bubbling yet, but I think it will

The key point here is that in our strange, manipulated world, as long as the Fed is on
    the side of a strong market there is considerable hope for the bulls. In the Greenspan/
    Bernanke/Yellen Era, the Fed historically did not stop its asset price pushing until fully-
    fledged bubbles had occurred, as they did in U.S. growth stocks in 2000 and in U.S. housing
    in 2006. Both of these were in fact stunning three-sigma events, by far the biggest equity
    bubble and housing bubble in U.S. history. Yellen, like both of her predecessors, has
    bragged about the Fed’s role in pushing up asset prices in order to get a wealth effect.
    Thus far, she seems to also share their view on feeling no responsibility to interfere with
    any asset bubble that may form. For me, recognizing the power of the Fed to move assets
    (although desperately limited power to boost the economy), it seems logical to assume that
    absent a major international economic accident, the current Fed is bound and determined
    to continue stimulating asset prices until we once again have a fully-fledged bubble. And
    we are not there yet.

To remind you, we at GMO still believe that bubble territory for the S&P 500 is about 2250
    on our traditional assumption that a two-sigma event,
    based on historical price data only
    We could easily, of course, have a normal, modest bear market, down 10-20%, given all of
    the global troubles we have. If we do, then the odds of this super-cycle bull market lasting
    until the election would go from pretty good to even better. So, “2250, here we come” is
    still my view of the most likely track, but foreign markets are of course to be preferred if
    you believe our numbers. Stay tuned.
    https://www.gmo.com/docs/default-source/public-commentary/gmo-quarterly-letter.pdf?sfvrsn=8