Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Top Large-Cap Mutual Funds Feed On Growth Stocks

FYI: Top-performing large-cap funds in the past 10 years have been driven by a combination of growth and value stocks. Since 2013, growth stocks have been the main performance engines.
Regards,
Ted
http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=MTk0OTUzMjQ=

Enlarged Graphic:
http://news.investors.com/photopopup.aspx?path=WEBlv0528_1K.jpg&docId=754574&xmpSource=&width=1000&height=1152&caption=&id=754548

Comments

• beebee
    edited May 2015
    So my question is which Large Cap companies have not already been priced today for future growth? Instead of only using Price Earnings ratio PE), one recent wealth tracks interviewee (Tom Russo) suggested evaluating company growth based on a company's ability to increase market share.

I wonder if anyone here own funds where the manager's focus is on companies that dominant market share or are strategically trying to achieve increased market share. Attention to mergers and acquisitions might be one method of increasing market share. A recent merger deal between Broadcom and Avago maybe attempting to increase market share to compete more effectively with companies like Qualcomm and Intel.

The oil and gas industry as well as the commodities sector seem ripe for M&A (Mergers and Acquisitions). Columbia Funds had a fairly successful fund UMBIX that isn't talked about much these days.

Anyway, here's an interesting article on the complexity of cross border mergers:

Avagos-Pending-Broadcom-Purchase-Taps-Arcane-Tax-Structure

I wonder that as QE continues in Japan, Europe and China, will this cheap capital encourage more of these deals, cross border or not.
  • edited May 2015
    @bee: I would think the main reason we don't discuss UMBIX much, is the fact that David Williams, the long time manager retired in 2012 I believe. He quietly amassed one of the best records of beating the S + P on a fairly consistent basis for years. I sold it after he retired. I now have his successor's fund SMGIX, who has done a very respectible job with UMBIX and SMGIX. I expect they will eventually merge. It's not easy owning Columbia funds because of all the sales over the years between varying investment firms, msf did an excellent post on its history. For more detail, use the search button for UMBIX.

I also own its tech fund, CMTFX but I think the glory days of Columbia are behind them, although I like these two funds very much.