Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Now Android Pay

Comments

• Let's hope Android OS is not longer vulnerable to malwares, including those from their own App stores. Otherwise, no thanks.
  • @Sven, I simply don't believe that any system that involves the opportunity to steal money, and is on the internet in any way, will ever be safe from malware.
  • Malware is a big concern. But, this is good progress in the security of payments. Handing over your card which could be copied, versus fingerprint ID and tokenization.

It might take an expert to explain better than I but how can thieves steal your card info online when all the information going across is just random numbers and not your actual card numbers?
  • edited June 2015
    I don't think there's a concern at the point of sale, but there has been some concerns regarding other aspects.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-pay-could-help-move-online-credit-card-fraud-into-physical-stores/

• Thanks for that @scott.
  • Thanks for that @scott.

No prob. I mean, we live in this world where if they can at least get the point of sale right (tokenization for Apple Pay, using the master Mastercard for Google Wallet), that's at least something that is secure and working and hopefully other aspects are taken care of sooner than later.

I mean, the fact that POS is secure already makes mobile payment a more appealing alternative to credit cards in terms of security.
  • The next step would be incorporating Apple Pay/Google Pay into ATM machines. Hopefully it would be less prone to theft due to scanners and cameras.
  • The next step would be incorporating Apple Pay/Google Pay into ATM machines. Hopefully it would be less prone to theft due to scanners and cameras.

They have it now where you can "pre-order" your ATM transaction (http://www.fisglobal.com/C024276) and use your mobile phone. It would not surprise me if the mobile wallet (Apple/Google Pay) added this feature.

That said, I think eventually societies will go cashless (there's more and more calls for it, I think it's pretty much inevitable) and then there will be no use for ATMs that I can think of.