Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* Are You Devoting Too Much Time (And Money) To Niche Asset Classes?

FYI: Categories like small caps, emerging-markets stocks, and junk bonds capture a lot of attention, but they're small fry in the scheme of things.
Regards,
Ted
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=699197

Comments

• Niche.

Hmmmm. Emerging markets contribute over 49% (and climbing) of global GDP but only 9% of global market cap, according to FTSE. The US contributes 19% (and falling) to GDP but 51% to global market cap.

I suppose if you assume that the stock market is efficient and investors are rational, then you would indeed assume that we were worth every penny (and more) of what's invested in our market.

David
  • "I suppose if you assume that the stock market is efficient and investors are rational"

Well, if I'm supposed to assume that, I might as well go whole hog and believe that capitalism is capable of efficient self-regulation, and that the financial market is already over-regulated, as has been proposed elsewhere on MFO.

(But that's an entirely different barroom brawl, as I'll bet you're aware.):)
  • "FYI: Categories like small caps, emerging-markets stocks, and junk bonds capture a lot of attention, but they're small fry in the scheme of things."

After reading that cut and paste there was no need to read the link.

Drivel.