Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PING: Ping is still the thing...ala FA. Had I not been snooping......

edited April 2011 in Fund Discussions
I would not know a direct question was placed to a comment I posted.
NOTE: When you are logged in, you will find your "board name" in the black bar at the top of all pages. Click onto your name and several items will be displayed. Along the left edge of this new page (under your Avatar box) you will find a list with one choice being "preferences". Select this to make choices to various notifications to you via your registered email with MFO. I do have a choice set to notify me of a direct reply to a comment I may place; but the comment/question that I did not receive is because there was a skip in the thread and the comment/question was not a direct reply to my post.
If you have a direct comment or question for me, do not hesitate to do the old ping thing, eh???

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• I think technical answers could also go in the technical questions category. It's the category to pick in the drop down box when you edit the message and move it.
  • Howdy Anonymous,

Yes, this could fit in all categories; but I chose to place it here with funds where it will likely get the most traffic and use.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Is this a case of "Tragedy of the Commons." or the fear that Off-Topic or Technical Questions are step children of the Funds Discussion group, and get short shrift. A category is a category.
  • Hi Catch. I believe the option that mentions replies is "Notify me when people reply to my wall comments." I do not think that the discussions are wall comments.
  • Catch22, I am sorry but I agree with Anonymous. I don't think "I have to jam it at any cost" is proper way to approach.

Especially the category selection in this site is a loose location indicator. Category is more like a filter unlike hard forum boundaries of other forum software.

People clicking the discussions link get all discussions so you are probably not much less exposed if you choose "Off-topic" for your own off-topic posts.

At least give the reader an option to focus on real fund discussions first.
  • Hi, guys.

Do what feels right and makes the most sense to you in any given instance. I don't object to "pinging" and I've reminded Chip and Brad (who scan the board each day, looking for concerns about its function) to defer whenever possible to folks' judgment about where they want their comments to appear.

So far, folks have been wonderfully helpful in sorting things through.

For what it's worth,

David
  • But I'm getting too old to do what feels right. Oooppps. Sorry.
  • edited November 2011
  • Howdy Accipiter,

I have set all preferences, except the 2 "wall" notifies. I will find what comes about from this.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Regards,
    Catch