Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Denmark Moving Away from Physical Cash

edited May 2015 in Off-Topic
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102682877

Not the first country to start heading in that direction.

Also on the same topic:

"In this futuristic world, all payments are made by contactless card, mobile phone apps or other electronic means, while notes and coins are abolished. Your current account will no longer be held with a bank, but with the government or the central bank. Banks still exist, and still lend money, but they get their funds from the central bank, not from depositors.
Having everyone’s account at a single, central institution allows the authorities to either encourage or discourage people to spend. To boost spending, the bank imposes a negative interest rate on the money in everyone’s account – in effect, a tax on saving." (Oh, goodie.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/comment/11602399/Ban-cash-end-boom-and-bust.html

----------------------------

“Let me issue and control a nation’s money and I care not who writes the laws.” Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1744-1812), founder of the House of Rothschild.

“The few who understand the system will either be so interested in its profits or be so dependent upon its favours that there will be no opposition from that class, while on the other hand, the great body of people, mentally incapable of comprehending the tremendous advantage that capital derives from the system, will bear its burdens without complaint, and perhaps without even suspecting that the system is inimical to their interests.” The Rothschild brothers of London writing to associates in New York, 1863.

Comments

• @MFO Members: Here's why !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted - that's exactly the same conversation I have with my granddaughter every time I babysit her.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The biggest reason for the government to do this is the ability to track every transaction for taxing purposes.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice, agree. It's all about control as the Rothschild reference mentions. The tracking and spending of money is a big tool for power.
  • This caught my eye as well.

"Apart from the control over the economy, there would be many other advantages of a cashless society. Such a system is much cheaper to run than one based on banknotes and coins. Forgery is impossible, as are robberies."

The author is dead wrong here. Hacking is prevalent and digital currency can be stolen the same as cash. Sure the "currency" could be tracked but by that time the damage is already done.