Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Best Yogi Berra Quotes For Today’s Market

Enjoy !
It’s the 90th birthday for Yogi Berra, the Hall of Fame catcher and manager who is even better known for his wonderful, oft-contradictory quotes.

Those Yogi-isms, as they are called, fit the market as well as they do baseball. Here are a few that can be adapted to today’s market.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-best-yogi-berra-quotes-for-todays-market-2015-05-12/print

Comments

• From Wikipedia: Simultaneously denying and confirming his reputation, Berra once stated, "I really didn't say everything I said."

And lest we forget "Always go to other peoples funerals, otherwise they won't go to yours."
  • MJG
    edited May 2015
    Hi Guys,

Thanks Ted for this fond reminder.

Besides being a great ball player, Yogi Berra did have embedded wisdom in some of his contradictory sayings. From an investing perspective my favorite is: "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." Investing teaches that same lesson over and over again.

It's been a long time, but my favorite baseball action photo is Jackie Robinson stealing home in a World Series game while Berra was the Yankee catcher. Is my memory accurate or am I getting my. signals mixed?

EDIT: My memory didn't fail me, at least not this time. Here is an exciting film clip of the event:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XY-XshGhMU

Enjoy. The game goes on.

Best Wishes.
  • edited May 2015
    For members of The Church of Baseball, this is indeed a date to observe! Thanks for alerting me! But, alas... "Nobody goes to that restaurant. It's too crowded."

You will all no doubt recall the oft-replayed film of Jackie Robinson stealing Home in the World Series vs. the Yankees. Yogi was behind the plate, catching, that day. Jackie Robinson was OUT. The ump called him SAFE, though, and that's what mattered. Here's a pic of Yogi. :)
    https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/8RVvx_1feI5w4sfjczxA9w--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9Njc3O3E9OTU7dz02NDE-/http://bill37mccurdy.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/yogi-berra2.jpg
  • edited May 2015
    Robinson steals home. Game 1 of the 1955 World Series, Brooklyn Dodgers vs. NY Yankees. Whitey Ford was pitching. Yogi Berra was catching. At Yankee Stadium.

• @MFO Members; Yogi gets a haircut !
    Enjoy,
    Ted
  • "...And cash is just like real money!"
  • One of my personal favorites:

"We made too many wrong mistakes"

Wonder if we will ever see that in a mutual fund commentary. Or this one:

"Slump? What slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting"
  • LAUGH!