Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

holy jeepers! Is this just too obvious? Is THAT why I didn't think of it until now? (IRA RMDs)

Ok, so at 70.5 (or into the year after) years of age, I'll start RMDs. Still 9 years away....
But the same amount that I am required to take as a distribution could be put into my WIFE'S IRA, no? (19 years between us. She's the younger.) I could take X amount from my own, and turn around and get the tax-sheltered benefit of simply dropping that sum into HER (Trad.) IRA...

What's wrong with this plan? There's gotta be a Catch, eh? It's too damn simple and direct!

Comments

• I have read that you cannot roll your RMD into a tax deferred account. I take that to mean any tax deferred account but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

If it was that simple.
  • Perhaps your wife could open her own Roth IRA, and use your RMD to fund that. By putting it into a Regular, she'll be paying taxes on the money (again) when she withdraws it.
  • Not quite sure what you have in mind, so I'll just walk through the rules as they would appear to apply to you:

1. RMD - you have to take this; that's the end of the story as far as this money goes.

2. IRA contribution - you need "compensation" (slightly different from earned income, see below) in order to fund an IRA. The RMD doesn't count as compensation.

3. If you or your wife has compensation (not RMD), then you can fund a Roth for either or both of you (but not more than your combined compensation) since there's no age limit on Roths. You could also fund your wife's traditional IRA.

For completeness - compensation generally includes taxable W2 or self-employed income, non-taxable combat pay, and alimony. Earned income (a term generally used in conjunction with the earned income credit) does not include alimony. Neither includes IRA distributions.

'Course if you're receiving alimony, you won't be able to contribute to your then ex-wife's IRA:-)

• @msf, if Crash uses the RMD to fund his wife's traditional IRA, wouldn't he end up paying taxes twice on that money?
  • You can't use RMD to fund an IRA.

(Well, cash is cash, and if you have $1000 in compensation, and a $1000 RMD, you can put $1000 in the IRA and think to yourself that the cash came from the RMD. That's okay, but the IRS still says the contribution is from your compensation.)

That said, the usual rules apply. If you contribute to a traditional IRA and the contribution is deductible, then you're not paying taxes on the money when you contribute it. Technically, you're not paying taxes on that $1000 of compensation, but if you choose to think of the contribution as coming from the RMD, you're not paying taxes on the RMD.

So no matter how you view it, you're only paying taxes when you withdraw, not when you contribute, to the deductible, traditional IRA. No double taxation.
  • My brain is in a fog. I thought the RMD was taxed when taken? So if you contribute that to a traditional IRA it gets taxed again upon withdrawal. I'm missing something.

Now if he uses the RMD to fund a Roth, then that would be a winner.
  • Forget the RMD for the moment. You earn $1000 in wages. That's taxed when earned. And if you contribute it to a traditional (deductible) IRA, it's taxed upon withdrawal.

(If you don't have that compensation, you're not allowed to contribute to the IRA.)

There's no double taxation, because you get to take a $1000 deduction when you make the contribution.

I've said nothing about where you got the cash from that you used to make the contribution. I could have gifted it to you. Or you might have had $1000 in investment income. Or you could have taken out of an IRA as an RMD. Doesn't matter - cash is cash.

That's why I said to forget about the RMD, it's a red herring. The only part it plays is as a place to get cash from. It's no different from investment interest. You can't roll it over, you can't convert it to a Roth. Same as with investment income.

• Ahh okay. It's clear now. Thanks much.
  • edited May 2015
    Note: msf was writing, too; before my post. Some info may be redundant.

msf, has provided; as usual, (a hugh thank you that you are part of this forum) a basis of information for this topic.

A real world note about this. After the market melt, the husband was downsized out of his employment in June of 2009. Her employment continued to provide enough net income for their lifestyle (frugal). She continued to fund her 401k to the maximum for that tax year, as well as both fully funding Roth IRA's to the maximum. They file a joint income tax return, obviously being viewed for purposes of total household income via the IRS.
    In addition to her 401k, they continued to fund both Roth IRA's via her income. His Roth having a "street name" of a spousal Roth. If you search terms for spousal Roth IRA, you'll find proper documentation, and I would think that TR Price's web site is complete with this info, too.

So, yes; you'll take your RMD, pay taxes at the ordinary tax rate and then you may do as you choose with the money. As msf noted, as long as there is enough "real income" from your wife's employment, you both may contribution to a Roth within the limit of that earned income or the max of a Roth contribution for each.
  • Sorry if i am lost. Once a distribution is taken from a tax deferred account, taxes are owed on that distribution. You van use that money to buy scotch or put it in an eligible ira. There cannit be any direct transfer and who can tell where a dollar was generated to fund the ira?

So i guess i missed the point of this conversation, other than crash robbed the cradle?

:-)
  • It was cleared up as far as my question went. I don't know if the IRS would flag a return if the numbers were the same. I have 11 years before I have to worry about it. Who knows what the rules will be by then? There were some trial balloons hoisted in Roths last year about taxation. We shall see.
  • beebee
    edited May 2015
    If you're considering using your IRA to help contribute to your wife's IRA, why not consider using these dollar to help fully fund a Roth IRA(for your wife) and even a spousal Roth IRA (for you)?

You may already be taking your "RMD" as a result of taking qualified distributions from your IRA which you may have started as early as 59.5. RMD means that you "must take at least a minimum qualified distribution starting at age 70.5".

Helping to contribute to your wife's Roth IRA and her spouse's Roth IRA (you) would not trigger any taxes going forward, while the IRA would.

By the way, you could start doing this after you reach 59.5, you don't have to wait to consider helping fund your wife's IRA (or Roth IRA) until you reach 70.5.

• edited May 2015
    All kinda complex. One could withdraw the RMD as required and than pay the taxes on a separate Roth conversion in either your own IRA or your wife's with the RMD money after you received it. As someone said ... money is money. I'll add, that taxes which have already been paid (on your behalf) constitute another form of "money in the bank" - so to speak.

Most people don't like bottom-grubbing (buying at market depths). But if you have an appetite for that, beaten-up growth segments (ie: stocks, EM bonds, real estate, etc.)** make nice targets for Roth conversions - even for fairly old investors. That's because the potential "bounce" in NAV constitutes, essentially, tax-free capital appreciation. There is a 5-year waiting period on taking out the appreciated gains. To the best of my (admittedly limited) understanding, that time-limit does not apply to withdrawing the original investment - though other restrictions may apply.

Crash - you might be overly concerned about RMD. The amounts (when I ran the numbers in our case) didn't seem that great - close to what we normally pull out to supplement living expenses. That said, with about 50% now in Roths (from two conversions) I'm a lot more comfortable about the flexibility I have for taking future distributions. Additionally, even though a RMD is required/taken, you are still free to reinvest the sum in a non-sheltered account. (You don't need to spend it if you don't want to.)

According to the linked article, "There is no age limit on when a Roth conversion can occur..." I'm a bit surprised at that myself. http://punchinvest.com/roth-ira-conversion-considerations/

** To clarify: The market sectors mentioned above were solely to illustrate what I meant by "growth segments" - and not intended to suggest currently attractive valuations.
  • Sorry if i am lost. Once a distribution is taken from a tax deferred account, taxes are owed on that distribution. You van use that money to buy scotch or put it in an eligible ira. There cannit be any direct transfer and who can tell where a dollar was generated to fund the ira?

So i guess i missed the point of this conversation, other than crash robbed the cradle?

:-)

Laugh Laugh LAUGH, LOL. Good one! Even my MOM told me that, too!
  • edited May 2015
    All of your responses are gratefully received. Truth is, I'm just not certain how long wifey would remain here in the USA after I'm gone. I dunno whether she ipso facto renounced her Philippines citizenship when she became a U.S. citizen. But I bet it would not be difficult for her to arrange to move back there and live pretty cheaply. (If, along the way before that eventuality, I could at last get her to understand the value of a dollar!;) )
  • edited May 2015
    She can go back. A Filipino is always welcome back home. No issues with the govt. She can apply for dual citizenship too.
  • John Chisum, thanks for clarifying.