Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tax Bills on the Rise for Fund Investors

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Maurice said:

One of the practices that I adopted years back, for better or worse, is to take short term and capital gains distributions (taxable accounts only) in cash. I am already paying taxes on them, so why not simplify things by avoiding reinvesting.

Hi Maurice,

What are you referring to when you say "why not simplify things by avoiding reinvesting"?

Best Regards,

Mona

• edited May 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maurice said:

Still unless you decide to give up the tracking and totally trust the brokerage firm, you will want to track the cost basis to check accuracy.

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your reply and no problem in the delay. Just make certain it does not happen again!

Since I do in fact leave the tracking to Vanguard in my case, I did not understand your your original post. And I too would not want to reinvest distributions in my taxable account if I felt the need to track the cost basis.

Best Regards,

Mona