Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Let's see if Gundlach gets this right

edited April 2015 in Fund Discussions
I would never second guess Jeff Gundlach or for that matter Dan Ivansyn. Gundlach took out a small position in Puerto Rico munis and then doubled down recently. Time will tell.

http://blogs.barrons.com/incomeinvesting/2015/04/30/puerto-ricos-bonds-reach-new-low/?mod=BOL_hp_blog_ii

Comments

• Jeffrey Gundlach is not afraid to make big bets. I think being bold is one of his good attributes.

In addition to his stake in PR municipal bonds, he recently agreed with Bill Gross in shorting the German bond, but he wants to amp it up 100 times:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-28/gundlach-considers-100-times-levered-wager-against-german-bonds
  • Lets gamble with the big boys or Just make decent returns in the U.S. stock market?
    Your choice...
  • Gundlach has done pretty good. My choice is to do both.
  • Tampabay said:

Lets gamble with the big boys or Just make decent returns in the U.S. stock market?
    Your choice...

Gundlach has done pretty good. My choice is to do both.

What about the foreign stock markets?
  • Good point. Can't leave them out.
  • I also like Gundlach as well. With respect to opporties, I like Europe since it is still in the early stage of recovering (QE and all) and thus has better chance of market moving upward. Can Japan' recovery sustain? EM requires both long term view and skillful active management. David' interview with Andrew Foster was particularly insightful.
  • @Sven, I agree. I feel more positive than ever that Japan may be moving forward. The Great Tohoku Quake had a major impact on the country's economy yet they are still moving forward. Europe is responding to their intervention but the long term is not clear to me. The idea of paying for a bond is new. ( negative interest rates).