Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Everyone's favorite Mexican restaurant took the fall today. Earnings were not up to expectations.
  • Everyone's favorite Mexican restaurant took the fall today. Earnings were not up to expectations.

Maybe people finally realized that quality doesn't mean healthy. It's like the "Yogurt Shop" episode of "Seinfeld". People seem to think they can eat Chipotle all the time.

It will be interesting to see how Chipotle's two spin-offs eventually do.
  • @scott, I'm probably the only one who has never eaten there nor invested in them. It's a restaurant chain for crying out loud, not a company that produces products for the future.

The latest fad may be showing the signs of being over.
  • @JohnChisum
    Make that 2 folks here, who have not eaten there.
    Perhaps a more radical circumstance; is that although I am a coffee drinker, I have not had anything from a Starbucks.
  • catch22 said:

@JohnChisum
    Make that 2 folks here, who have not eaten there.
    Perhaps a more radical circumstance; is that although I am a coffee drinker, I have not had anything from a Starbucks.

+3 Then again, I have the absolute worst diet of anyone on this board hands down.
  • @catch22, I have to admit I will stop at a Starbucks if that is the only choice. I prefer making my own which is much cheaper and use the smaller shops if I can. I'm not a fan of the burnt taste of Starbucks. Their Via packets are good in a pinch. Peets makes a better roast for my taste.
  • Starbucks USED to be make good coffee. Over time they lowered their quality of coffee beans while raised their price. Our favorite local coffee shops are Dutch Brothers and other mom & pop shops.
  • Make that 4 folks here, who have not eaten at Chipotle.
  • I'm starting to wonder who does eat there and who invests in their stock?
  • edited April 2015

I'm starting to wonder who does eat there and who invests in their stock?

Aren't any where we are in northern Michigan. Not sure about the downstate area. My first encounter with them was on a long drive we took across the Ohio-Pennsylvania Turnpike on the way to W. Virginia couple years ago. They're scattered all along the way at those big commercialized rest areas. We stopped every couple hours for our caffeine fix. Clean & modern with customer friendly staff. Any flavor/size concoction you can imagine. But 2 or 3 X more expensive than your local coffee shop. Also, while in NY, I picked-up a prepackaged salad at the Starbucks inside Macy's big store in Manhattan. Took it back to the hotel for later. I'll have to say it was nothing special. A bit disappointing considering the high price paid.

If you go to EBay or Amazon they have large sections devoted soly to Starbuck branded items. I've looked at some of their classic Holiday mugs from specific years in the past - which actually have attained collector's value. They've attained something of a cult-like following I dare say.

• Starbucks is very pricey for what you get. At the beginning their food offerings were also expensive but unique. Everyone else has the same things now. It does become an expensive habit. The frugal part of me pushed the idea of making my own. Never looked back but I cannot stand regular coffee anymore.

Chipotle has been a surprise for these few years. I've been waiting for the stock to revert to its mean but it hasn't happened. I guess this old guy doesn't understand the value of another restaurant chain.

I stopped by Olive Garden for lunch while stateside. Very disappointed. Food was bland. I don't think I'll go there anymore.
  • "I stopped by Olive Garden for lunch while stateside. Very disappointed. Food was bland. I don't think I'll go there anymore. "

Dinner once. Never again.

• I apologize for the thread drift. Getting back to Chipotle, as I mentioned earlier, it's just a restaurant chain. The stock price is approaching $700. It still smells like a fad. When tougher times come, people will forsake expensive Mexican food for cheaper stuff. This and Buffalo Wild Wings. These are stocks I would not buy. Cramer pushed these stocks though and that may be part of it.

Restaurants are a very fickle business.
  • edited April 2015
    Chipotle is good. It's not the best thing since sliced bread. It's also heavy on the salt. It drives me insane that people think that it's healthy because it's higher quality so they can eat it all the time. It ain't health food.

Would I eat there? If I was by it and felt like it, but wouldn't go out of my way. Eventually people will move on to something else.

Starbucks is where it is - I think - heavily due to Howard Schultz, who's a terrific CEO. That said, I looked at Starbucks again after it split the other day and still couldn't bring myself to invest in it. I just don't care and people are too fickle. Plus, one of the things that I don't like to invest in is in the kind of thing that's among the first things people will give up if things turn South.

In terms of people thinking it's healthy, I always think about this scene from the "Non Fat Yogurt" episode of "Seinfeld".