Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Back button (either new feature or an error report)

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Here is my understanding of back button:

My observations:

Back button allows users to retrace their steps through a hierarchy of information.
    The history cache of the browser is served without an additional request to the server.

The discussion board is embedded ever since you saw the first menu change with the brown-red menu and now with the wordpress menu.

If you are scrolled part way down the page when you use the back button you return to the vicininty of where you were scrolled down the page.

Personally, if I want to go to the list of discussion subjects from within a particular discussion I click discussions from the black bar, rather than the back button because I want to see the freshest information.

What's the difference between "related discussion summary and "discussion summary" out of curiousity.
  • edited January 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the black bar location is - where the menu option of Discussion Activity Mark All Read etc are.

It's a black horizontal bar on my screen.

• I did notice the function change. I personally considered the previous behavior broken and now it is working as it should.

Previously if you opened up a thread and backed up via back button a refresh would put you back in the thread instead of refreshing the main thread. I think previous behavior was broken and now it is working right.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2012
  • Reply to @Maurice: Chip, sir, is a "she".
  • edited February 2012
  • Reply to @Accipiter: Well, as Max noted, he is a great one for the correct "pigeonhole".
  • Reply to @Maurice: There was certainly nothing in our comments to suggest any discourtesy on your part regarding women. As a matter of fact, I early on fell into the same trap myself, initially assuming that "Chip" was more likely to be a male nickname. So you're in good company there- namely mine.

With respect to past topics, I was merely quoting another poster. Sometimes our past catches up with us.
  • edited February 2012
  • Reply to @Maurice: Sir, I believe that you confuse "making personal attacks" with "responding in kind". Enough said, to quote you.
  • Old_Joe,

Sometimes our past catches up with us.

Or if one gets entangled in a "catch22".........the past may never catch up; being in my case, probably a very most fortunate circumstance. Some catch22's may be alright !!!