Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Larry Summers: The Past Month May Go Down as a Turning Point for U.S. Economic Power

edited April 2015 in Off-Topic
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/larry-summers-past-month-may-121922702.html

"This past month may be remembered as the moment the United States lost its role as the underwriter of the global economic system . True, there have been any number of periods of frustration for the US before, and times when American behaviour was hardly multilateralist, such as the 1971 Nixon shock, ending the convertibility of the dollar into gold. But I can think of no event since Bretton Woods comparable to the combination of China’s effort to establish a major new institution and the failure of the US to persuade dozens of its traditional allies, starting with Britain, to stay out of it."

One of the rare instances where I've agreed with Summers.

Full column: http://larrysummers.com/2015/04/05/time-us-leadership-woke-up-to-new-economic-era/

Comments

• Thanks @scott for the good read.

I was high school age at the time of Bretton Woods so my attention was elsewhere. I wonder if that announcement had a lot of impact at that moment or was realized over time? Larry Summers puts up a good argument in his column. We may not realize the impact of this moment right now but as time goes by, the impact of the decision will grow and become an inflection point in history.
  • edited April 2015
    I agree, and had thought the same thing to myself. History happens.

From the article: "With US commitments unhonoured and US-backed policies blocking the kinds of finance other countries want to provide or receive through the existing institutions..."

For example, the simple-minded right-wing effort to dismember the export-import bank, which provides, among other things, financing for foreign airlines to purchase Boeing products. To achieve their vision of governmental purity the opponents of the ex-im bank would happily see the demise of the one major commercial airliner manufacturer left in the United States.

It is, of course. only a matter of time until China becomes the third major manufacturer of commercial aircraft. Does anyone really believe that they won't use any and all strategies possible to advance their national commercial interests?

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."