Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mark Hulbert: For Stocks, The Best Time To Sell And Go Away Starts Tomorrow

FYI: (On this one Mark, I think you are dead wrong. From 1990-2014, 18 Aprils have been winners and seven losers.)
Should you sell in April and go away?
It’s an odd question, I admit. Widespread talk of selling usually doesn’t begin until late April, when investors each year are reminded of the famous seasonal pattern “sell in May and go away.”

But it’s precisely because it is so well-known that some followers of this seasonal tendency wonder if they should act sooner rather than later. Waiting until May Day runs the risk of selling at the same time that a large number of other investors are doing the same.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/for-stocks-the-best-time-to-sell-and-go-away-starts-tomorrow-2015-03-31/print

Comments

• edited April 2015
    I recently sold my spiff (special investment position) off that I opened in October of 2014 with about an 8.3% gain plus dividends. Had I sold a few days earlier I'd have had a gain of about 10.4%. I chose to exit with respectable gains rather than to wait and watch them evaporate as we approach and enter 1Q2015 earnings reporting season as I believe earnings are going to disappoint.