Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

European ETFs and CEFs

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• IRL. The New Ireland Fund, closed-end.
    http://cef.morningstar.com/quote?pgid=hetopquote&t=IRL

http://news.morningstar.com/all/ViewNews.aspx?article=/MWR/MWR1176682US_univ.xml

03/11/15 -- The New Ireland Fund, Inc. (NYSE: IRL) (the "Fund"), a closed-end fund, today announced that it will pay on March 30, 2015, a distribution of US$0.28343 per share to all shareholders of record as of March 23, 2015.

"Your Fund's distribution policy (the "Distribution Policy") is to provide investors with a stable quarterly distribution out of current income, supplemented by realized capital gains and, to the extent necessary, paid-in capital. As announced in the press release issued on June 15, 2014, the Board has determined that the initial annual rate will be 8% per annum, payable in quarterly installments. .."
    http://news.morningstar.com/all/ViewNews.aspx?article=/MWR/MWR1181158US_univ.xml

http://news.morningstar.com/all/ViewNews.aspx?article=/MWR/MWR1183434US_univ.xml

...I note it is right now trading at a bit better discount than the 3 or 6 month average. I owned it back in the 1990s and made money.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi @Maurice

Here is a list of 24 broad-based Eurozone etf's. The tickers are clickable for more info about the fund; plus you could also input the tickers into another site of your pleasure.

Note: We do hold HEDJ ..... For our current European equity exposure and that we feel the Euro currency has more room to fall against the U.S. dollar. The list also has some small cap etf's.

Lastly, I agree that trading volume is an important consideration with etf's.

Hey, we still have some snow on the ground here in Michigan, where the sun doesn't shine. Hoping the snow melt in your area is slow; so as to not become a bigger problem.

Take care,
    Catch
  • If you can access the z share class, Mutual European.
  • edited March 2015
    If you go to etf.com/etfanalytics/etf-finder I think you'll be able to search for European etfs and you should get a better result than M*. I even have the premium membership at M* but I find etf.com much more useful most of the time when I'm just trying to figure out what my options are.

Oops, sorry, I think I just duplicated @catch22 's option with a similar website.
  • edited March 2015
    I suggest HEDJ for large cap European equities and EUSC for small caps, both for the same reason which Catch already stated for HEDJ. Both etf's are WisdomTree etf's.

Note that EUSC has only been existence for a few weeks, so no track record. But the idea's the same as HEDJ i.e. hedge European equities. HEDJ hedges European large caps and EUSC hedges European small caps.

Catch - Snow's pretty much gone now in A2.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ok, Maurice.:)
  • Hi Maurice,

I like a combination of HEDJ and DFE to cover both currency outcomes. If the USD strengthens relative to the EUR (the current trend until it reverses), then HEDJ will do well and DFE (influenced by domestic growth and less influenced by global currency fluctuations) will not suffer as much as VGK. If the USD weakens relative to the EUR, then the European domestic economy is improving, and the SC DFE should do very well, and HEDJ will obviously feel pain.

The ECB QE program is just starting and the Euro economy is still very weak, so I anticipate further weakening of the EUR relative to the USD. I am not worried about the very recent strengthening of the EUR, as I think that it is a temporary correction in a definite declining EUR trend. Disclosure: we own HEDJ and EFA.

Kevin