Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Funds Pick Year When S&P 500 Is Up 2% To Beat Market

FYI: -- Good news for investors: far more mutual funds are beating the market than last year. The bad news is that stocks are returning one-tenth as much.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-17/mutual-funds-pick-year-when-s-p-500-is-up-1-to-beat-the-market

Comments

• My Mutual Funds & ETFs (including Bonds) +4.4% ytd..Killing my individual stocks, but lots of time to rally plus many good Divs coming from stocks rest of year
    In all... good (enough) first Quarter...VTSMX +3.5%
  • @Ted,

Sounds like my portfolio mirrors that, 70% of my funds, 80% of my etfs exceed the S + P so far, but less so for my stocks, but in a few of the stocks I got lucky and helped make up for the ones that didn't do as well.
  • Whether mutual fund or individual stock, dividends don't increase total returns - share prices have the dividend built in and drop by that amount when going ex.
  • ?
    They sort of do, being part of total return. But you know that.
  • "dividends don't increase total returns" in long run.. proven wrong time after time,
    Some Day I'll give you the more bicycles theory on how to build a business...in mean time try to figure how more bicycles can help your business...