Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Funds Run By Robots Now Account For $400 Billion

FYI: Smart-beta ETFs use machines to outperform humans and now account for $400 billion, but some can be less than brilliant.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-16/smart-beta-etfs-attract-billions-with-critics-blaming-dumb-money

Comments

• Interesting article. Being a dividend income investor I don't own a lot of funds but some of those mentioned in the article employ interesting strategies worth looking into. I had jotted down HEDJ for example but now that it's been named ETF of the year it's most likely doomed to crash. I do own FEU, mostly for the dividend and because I expect Europe to eventually come around.

Note to Ted - not to worry, most of my holdings are in the US.
  • Interesting read but NO thanks. Sticking to my strategy that work well through the up and down cycles.
  • Been tried Many times before with min. success....give me my managers to take the heat or the credit...I'm comfortable that way