Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Investors In 'Patient Panic' Over Fed Language

FYI: U.S. stock markets are in the midst of a "'patient' panic" ahead of Wednesday's Federal Reserve statement, when many investors expect a change in the Fed's language that would send the clearest signal yet that a rate hike is coming soon
Regards,
Ted
http://www.reuters.com/assets/print?aid=USKBN0M927620150314

Comments

• The rate hike is coming either as early as June or early 2016. Historically markets have survived and thrived in higher rate environments, don't see how this one will do worse.
  • "'patient' panic"
    Is that like "recovery from sudden death"?
  • A very emotionally based panic with the media fanning the flames. After the initial rise and dump of the markets, everyone will discover that it was not the end of the world as they were told.

It could open up some good buying opportunities.
  • edited March 2015
    Geeeez ..... All this noise about a word.

Can't help thinking about the Patience who dumped me after a couple dates back in college (smart girl ). The Masters of Ambiguity, known as the FOMC, have now had three months since December to ruminate about who should eventually replace Patience. No doubt they've endured more than a few sleepless nights with Thesaurus close at hand.

I'll get out in front here and announce right now that the new addition to FedSpeak unveiled today will be "Prudence". Prudence, like Patience, conveys a calming feminine tone which the the Fed hopes will quell understandable investor anxiety about rising interest rates in the months ahead. What's the difference you might ask? With Patience the gun is left unloaded and safely stowed in the closet. But, with Prudence, the gun is loaded and standing at the ready. (Where's John Wayne when we need him?)

Other predictions?

• Take bp medication and go to the Gym (I do)...I never "panic" and always sleep good