Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Big Winners And Losers In The Markets Yesterday

FYI: Another strong jobs report squeezed markets on Friday as traders read the fast pace of job creation as a signal that the Federal Reserve might soon start to tighten the spigot on easy-money policies. Here's what happened !
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2015/03/06/big-winners-and-losers-in-the-markets-dollar-soars-bonds-beaten-down/tab/print/

Comments

• No, here's what happened:
    Big winner - Charles
    Big Losers - the rest of us
  • edited March 2015
    It was a day when balanced portfolios became unbalanced.

Normally tranquil T. Rowe Spectrum Income (RPSIX) lost 0.63%.
    My benchmark, T. Rowe Balanced Retirement (TRRIX), lost 0.80%.
    I lagged the benchmark, losing 0.86% due to being overweight commodity and NR.
    Also achieved dubious first-time distinction of being 100% in the red, excluding money market funds. Even ultra-short TRBUX fell a penny.

Crazy day. Maybe should be renamed: "Get used to rising interest rates"?
    Nice show Charles!

• Several managed futures funds went up. PQTIX up .36% AHLPX up .35%. EBHIX up 1.02%. EBSPX up .90%.
  • I don't understand the words "lost/Losing", How does anyone Lose anything on a holding that temporary goes down in price? just wondering...
  • edited March 2015
    @Tampabay

Ah, but you/we know tis just a semantics situation, eh? Nothing to wonder about.....

se·man·tics
    /səˈman(t)iks/
    noun

noun: semantics; noun: logical semantics; noun: lexical semantics

the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.

•the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.

Now, I'll stop wasting electrons and their wonderful abilities.....

Catch

• edited March 2015
    Tampabay said:

I don't understand the words "lost/Losing", How does anyone Lose anything on a holding that temporary goes down in price? just wondering...

@TPA: How do you discuss a fund's performance on Friday without using terms like "loss" or "lost"?
    Just wondering ..... umm ... maybe "burped, gassed, vomited, barfed, hiccupped, heaved or gagged" would please you more?
  • Yes, good hiring news translates to a rout on Wall Street. Main Street and Wall Street are indeed in separate worlds, in case anyone was still wondering about that. On Friday, my only fund not in the red was PRASX, managing barely a single PENNY upward. Bonds: DLFNX down -0.58% and PRSNX down -0.36% and PREMX down -0.41%. I observe, and move on. Next week's Market action is here already, tomorrow.
  • DLFNX was down 6¢ or 0.54% per the Doubleline site. As for Morningstar, their website shows it was up a penny. Last update was March 5. So much for their service.

Not trying to aggravate @Crash, just correcting the figures. Still a bad day for DLFNX and I hold this find also.

Hopes for a better week but I am not seeing it yet.
  • On a general note, I am sensing more nervousness on this latest downdraft. To make some comparisons, run a three or a six month chart of the main indices.

You will find that this last drop is not all that bad compared to the other drops especially earlier this year. More time is needed to determine if this is the beginning of the end as some media pundits might call it, or just another bump in the road.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi John

Haven't followed board too closely past week. But I'd differentiate between being "interested" in all the aspects of markets and being "nervous." I for one find the daily moves in equities, bonds, foreign currencies and commodities fascinating - probably in much the way others enjoy a mystery novel or viewing TV "reality" shows. And I enjoy gabbing about such with others who find the stuff of interest. Suspect those who don't find this stuff of great interest are likely off visiting other types of sites gabbing about racing or cooking or coin collecting or something else.

Been in this for over 40 years. Heck - was investing at Templeton when Sir John was still managing some of the funds. So no - not "nervous" or I'd be gone from the markets by now. We all know that the stock market can fall 25% in a single day ((Oct. 1987) or 50% in a matter of months (2008 & 2009). Narrower segments like gold, oil, junk bonds and tech can do even worse than that over very short periods. And these things invariably happen without warning - although 1 in 50 pundits will probably call it correctly ahead of time and gain temporary retrospective fame after the event. So a very long-term perspective and, as much as possible, a hands-off approach are always recommended by me,

Yes - some posters here do seem to be trying to time the markets. It's not for me to tell others how to invest. But, I view that as akin to standing on a mountain and commanding the wind to stop blowing or change direction. It might actually work once every dozen or so times. But generally the wind just blows you away.

Still traveling in southern Fla. Nothing but 80s here. Take care.

• Hank, What would Please me is if Investors would get out of The Habit of "Losing" and Making money on a daily basis on Stock Market ordinary movements..

Better Way: Stock market investing is a buying/selling process...you buy at a (low) price and WHEN you Sell at (your) Price you determine whether you Lost money or Made money on your investment.....

Example:You can lose your Keys, but you don't lose/make money (investing) till you WANT to.... that kind of thinking will relieve you of everyday constipation
  • edited March 2015
    Hi TPA.

Thanks for your response. Actually, I agree with what you say. Hard to disagree.

Yackin about Friday's hiccup in many markets won't change a thing. Sit tight and you'll still do well with good funds over 20 years. And over the next 30, I expect most of us will be dead - or at least convelescing somewhere.

I don't see many here fretting about their gains or losses. Perhaps you do. I may laugh when my funds head south over a day or so or scratch my head in puzzlement when I see nothing but green - but I realize it doesn't change a thing over the longer run.

As humans we talk about a lot of things we can't control or shouldn't worry about. The weather, sleazy politicians and whether aliens exist for example. So I don't see any harm in looking at how an assortment of funds performed on a given day.

Investing is a bit like driving on the snow and ice in Michigan. When you feel the rear end starting to slide around - often the best thing to do is take your hands off the steering wheel and foot off the brakes. Car will regain its tracking and steady if you don't panic and muck it up. So, the best thing to do about Friday - or most any other day - is precisely nothing.

Regards

• edited March 2015
    REITs and utilities still flat/off mildly but otherwise nice rebound. In terms of REITs, Simon Property making an offer for Macerich and going hostile, no less. (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/simon-property-group-launches-16b-hostile-bid-macerich-29498283)