Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is There A Case For Actively Managed Funds?

FYI: Low-fee index funds do a better job of meeting benchmarks, but some see specific uses for actively managed funds.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-index-funds-really-better-than-actively-managed-1425271058

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Is There A Case For Actively Managed Funds?....Returns/management responsibility..would be the first Two I could think of....but I'll keep thinking...later
  • I think the case for indexing large cap is clear. For other asset clas ses I would avoid those that indicate they will be fully invested .If that is their you will not outperform ina bear market. I like funds like T.Rowe Price Cap Appreciation and Sequoia that do not hesitate to increase cash positions. Even if they are wrong I expect them to do a better job of market timing than I would For those who think my praiseing those funds is inconsistent with my comment about investing in large cap active funds I make the distinction between making new investments and keeping old ones.