Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Fund/ETF Research Newsletter March 2015 edition

In this edition ...

-When You Should Consider Making
Changes to Your Portfolio (below)

-Are Bond Funds Likely to See Negative Returns
for the Remainder of the Year? (page 5, top)

-A Disappointing Note About
Morningstar.com (page 5, bottom)

Read all about it through the below link ...

http://funds-newsletter.com/mar15-newsletter/mar15-new.htm

Old_Skeet

Comments

• TedTed
    edited February 2015
    Old_Skeet: Suggest you E-Mail Tom Madell to see what he has to say about you 53 funds. I think I know what he's going to tell you. You are not an investor, your a fund horder.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I Read his stuff, some good stuff, too much Detail/information in one sitting for most readers....past 40 words/15 sec. you better get my ( and everyones) attention,
    or else trash can.......
  • Hi Ted,

Thanks for you comment.

When I consider the number of accounts (five) that hold all these assets I think it is a neat and clever way to manage. Anyway, I have no desire to make changes at this time. The performance results on the overall package more than meet my objectives and fall within my risk tolerance plus the portfolio kicks off enough yield to more than meet my income needs.

I agree, it is not for everyone as my best friend runs with only two funds. A bond fund and a stock fund; and, he tweaks the percentage amount held in each from time-to-times as he reads the markets. Ocassionally, he will take a position in cash. Through the years it has worked well for him (but not me).

With this, I again say ... "To each their own."

Old_Skeet
  • Thanks @Old_Skeet for posting this.

In Tom Madell's part in bonds, I wondered if he was hinting that bonds will suffer longer because of the Fed's indecision on when to raise rates?

As for M*, they continue on the downslide.
  • edited February 2015
    Hi JohnChisum:

I think that indeed could be part of it. For the past couple of years I have kept my bond funds within my own portfolio in funds that were either short duration or ones that leaned that way. One can easily see, at times, extended maturity bonds funds have done very well. And, with that, I missed a good part of the bond party.

And, I believe Morningstar is having problems. Currently, I am having a problem connecting to my portfolio. I surely hope they have not lost it as someone else reported a few weeks back.

It for sure, Dr. Tom is no slouch when it comes to investing and makes me wonder even more about Morningstar why they will no longer be adding his new newsletters to the historical of the others.

Old_Skeet

• edited February 2015

"I think that indeed could be part of it. For the past couple of years I have kept my bond funds within my own portfolio in funds that were either short duration or ones that leaned that way. One can easily see, at times, extended maturity bonds funds have done very well. And, with that, I missed a good part of the bond party."

I did the same as well. Live and learn I guess.
  • edited February 2015
    ..."past 40 words/15 sec. you better get my ( and everyones) attention,"

Most intellectual duscussions are longer than 40 words or 15 seconds. No sound bites here at MFO.
  • I read the article. I don't see much more then the usual newsletter writing.