Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Sam Stovall: Here's How Stocks Will React To Rising Interest Rates

FYI: For investors worried about how stocks will react to rising interest rates, last week's trading may provide some guidance.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20150217/FREE/150219941?template=printart

Comments

• So short-term Treasuries will be 25 bps higher at some point this year. That is not the reason some dividend stocks have had a pullback. The reason is they had a tremendous year in 2014. AEP was up 34%. So it's down about 4% YTD. But not because interest rates might creep up 25 bps. Its P/E got to almost 17. Time for a breather, but hardly a reason to sell a solid stock with a yield of 3.56% for what might be 2.4% on a ten-yr Treasury.
  • @BobC, you may be right that AEP needed a breather, but the stock lost approx. 4% on the day of the jobs report when thoughts about interest rates were changing. I don't think you can reasonably argue that the pullback that day, and possibly the continued pullback in subsequent days had nothing to do with interest rate expectations. I also don't think that means anyone needs to sell stocks they feel are good investments, but I think the point of the article was that if you've invested in those higher yielding S&P 500 stocks for the dividend income then its important to be aware of the capital risk as well.