Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Correlation Conundrum And Liquid Alternatives

FYI: As the popularity of so-called liquid-alternative funds increases, many of us wonder how they will perform in the inevitable bear market.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20150215/REG/150219955?template=printart

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Ted, I doubt that MOST "alternatives" will provide diversification when the Bear returns. (there will be a few exceptions -- a few managers who will deduce correctly that a Bear is imminent, and position their holdings accordingly --- but there is no way to confidently predict who those managers will be.

A broader point: --- And pardon my ignorance on the subject/set me straight --Aren't most dollars invested in "alternative assets" really invested in conventional assets (equities, debt instruments), which may be managed in an atypical or "alternative" fashion? What I mean is: L/S funds, 130/30 funds, merger-arbitrage, convertible-arbitrage, smart-beta, etc --- these are invested in conventional assets. Aren't they? --- To me, it doesn't pass the "smell test" that liquid-alt managers will be able to provide real diversification benefits when the Bear strikes -- which really, is the ONLY time investors need diversification.

I will concede there do seem to be some truly 'alternative assets' out there -- managed futures (though, some futures are equity- and interest-rate futures, yes), commodities. But will the underlying assets in even these assets provide real diversification during a bear? I am skeptical.

My sense of things is the "liquid alts" buzz is mostly an industry-marketing initiative -- attempting to slice off a piece of of the tsunami of investors' money which is moving from active money-managers to passive strategies by rebranding active management and calling it "alternatives" -- and maybe an excuse to charge investors even more than a typical active manager. Any thinking active money-manager can probably give himself a pay raise (i.e. raise the E/R of his fund) by slapping a "alternative" or "smart-beta" appellation on the fund. -- That doesn't mean the manager suddenly became more adept at managing money or has figured out how to not be mauled by a Bear.

If a Bear approaches, the best 'alternative asset' is.... CASH.