Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hedge Fund Manager Loses 99.8% In 9 Months, Tells Investors He Is "Sorry" For "Overzealousness"

Comments

• Takes my breath away. He's been living on a diet of Stupid Pills or some such???????
  • Crash said:

Takes my breath away. He's been living on a diet of Stupid Pills or some such???????

If you make huge leveraged bets, probably not that difficult. The losses that some FX traders had from the Swiss franc de-peg were probably nauseating.

• Well who hasn't done that. At least he was sorry and man is he ever. Hopefully he had fun while it lasted.
  • I wonder how much he collected in "management fees."
  • edited January 2015
    A reminder that anything can happen. In an attempt to "hedge" against the much feared (but rarely realized) 50% losses equity indexes can unleash, some managers and their clients resort to exotic approaches that occasionally blow up In their faces. Greed also plays a role.

This instance involved a hedge fund for which SEC standards are more lenient than for open-end mutual funds. However, some mutual funds also try to "hedge" risk with non-mainstream approaches like market timing along with the use of derivatives, leverage, short sales, unrated debt, etc. Few, if any, of these "hedge-like" mutual funds have admirable long term records. Here's a glance at how two of them have fared year to date. Members are already aware af their longer term records, as they have been heavily discussed in the past:

John Hussman's Strategic Growth Fund (HSGFX) is up by 3.34% YTD. His first "Commentary" of the year was part "mea culpa" and part sales-pitch for the new, redesigned approach he has implemented at HSGFX. As usual, he was short on details as to what, if anything, has changed in his oft-maligned investment approach. Hmm ... Not sure I want my $$ being used by a fund manager for what amounts to "on the job" training.

Marketfield Mainstay Fund (MFLDX) is down 1.8% YTD. If you track that fund daily as I do you may have noticed that its moves in recent days appear closely correlated to the oil/energy sectors. I'll hazard a guess they have recently acquired (or reacquired) significant exposure to those sectors in an attempt to make up for the losses the fund experienced last year. (There's a period of time before such new investments are required to be divulged publically.)

FWIW