Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dow Theory's Russell: Get Ready for 'Shock and Awe' as Stocks Rocket Higher in 2015

beebee
edited January 2015 in Fund Discussions
I don't pay to read his newsletter, but here's a few excerpts from linked article:

"Veteran stock forecaster Richard Russell, editor of the Dow Theory Letters, predicts the U.S. market is about to enter the third — and possibly the most profitable — phase of an epic bull market.

Russell says his 60 years of experience in financial markets tells him his optimistic outlook is on the mark for 2015.

"Is it too late to enter the market? Investors should remember that stocks often advance as much in their third phase as they did in the first and second phases combined. Like a giant magnet, the US stock market is in the process of attracting money from all over the world," he writes.

Russell-stock-market-bull

Comments

• Thanks @bee. There does seem to be a general thinking that this market will have a good 2015. I think that's true for the first part. The usual tendency when we come off a good year are expectations of another one as the circumstances have not changed. Human optimism I suppose. We shall know in a years time.
  • edited January 2015
    (Shrug.)

I think the market's in a place where there are sectors that are more noticeably undervalued (energy), a good deal that's probably around fair value and some that are overvalued (consumer staples, for example - plus, REITs concern me a bit.) In terms of REITs, I'm not selling the ones I own, but I would not add here. As for consumer staples, I do like the sector in theory quite a bit, but not at the valuations that things like Church and Dwight, Colgate and P & G are at.

I think ultimately 2015 will be up, but it will be a more difficult and volatile climb than 2014. It will also be more of a stockpicker's market (although I dislike that phrase.)

I don't share the enthusiasm of Russell, although I respect his experience. If someone is going to "enter the market" at this point they'd best do so very slowly and have a long-term time horizon.

• There might be something to the fact that tons of ex-US money is making its way here, but not just to stocks. RE, stocks, US dollar and treasuries are all climbing lately.

Japan and Europe are QE'ing. Much of that appears to be heading our way.

Just my $0.02