Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• This is why I don't get too upset with all the funny business out of the Fed. The money obviously isn't making it into circulation, and therefore isn't/won't result in high inflation.

I think we need a fair amount of stimulus, just to fight the deflationary trend which is caused by our aging demographic situation.
  • The chart showing the old vs new CPI does show what we thought - there is inflation not reflected in the new CPI.

I think low inflation will be for years.
  • Shadowstats would find a way to spin a negative -5% CPI into inflation. I think inflation isn't the problem we need to be focused on. Lack of wage growth seems to be a much bigger fish to fry, IMO.
  • Last Time I can remember Inflation affecting me was in 1979, thanks to Jimmy Carter& theFed
    WHAT inflation?
  • edited December 2014
    @Tampabay
    How is a U.S. president (regardless of party affiliation) directly responsible for a large increase in inflation? Albeit, the two most recent (and ongoing) wars have caused vast sums of debt.

Cost of Iraq/Afgan Wars, one source, March, 2013

Thanks.
    Catch
  • Who said increase? In cooperation with the Fed, Jimmy agreed/Planned (not to increase inflation) but to Stop so called 10% inflation, He and Fed almost ruined the economy with 18% interest rates, and that affected my business greatly, Only inflation interruption I can think of in my business/personal Life since....thank you Jimmy...
    Hows the Peanuts?
    Sorta of like Obama and the Coal industry, or US Oil with Keystone Pipeline, How many peoples livelihood (jobs) do you think he is ruining?
  • edited December 2014
    Oh, that is what you meant with the words, "What inflation?"
    I recall President Ford's "Whip Inflation Now" in late 1974. Inflation, well; stagflation was already in place prior to President Carter.
    For those who don't recall part of this period (1970's), here is some data regarding relative inflation. One may select other periods from the links below the text area.
    1980 and 1981 were also a bit on the hot side.
  • Carter and the Fed ruined the economy almost, back then, and harmed your business to boot, and now BO ruins coal and oil livelihoods.

Wow. Need to think something about proportion now.
  • edited December 2014
    @Catch

"Whip Inflation Now"? ..... How cute!

However, Nixon had more *****
    He simply came out and FROZE prices and wages. Remember that? Gotta hand it to the man.:)

"Effective immediately, therefore, I am ordering a freeze on prices.1 This freeze will hold prices at levels no higher than those charged during the first 8 days of June. It will cover all prices paid by consumers. The only prices not covered will be those of unprocessed agricultural products at the farm levels, and rents."

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=3868
  • yeah, never ever thought I would or could long for a GOP prez like Trick. Of course he would be a blazing liberal and pillar of progressive sense and judgment today.