Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• hank December 2014
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* T. Rowe Price Remains On Top

FYI: (Often overshadowed by Vanguard and Fidelity TRP has an excellent lineip of funds)
Regards,
T. Rowe Price has a long history of putting investors' interests first. It offers a reasonably priced lineup of sensible funds.
Ted
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=677629

Comments

• edited December 2014
    "Morningstar recently issued a new Stewardship Grade for T. Rowe Price. The firm's overall grade--which considers corporate culture, fund board quality, fund manager incentives, fees, and regulatory history--is an A."
    -

Hmm ... Interesting - When M* launched their "stewardship" grade perhaps a decade ago, they graded Price down in this area. Nice to see M* has let them out of the "Dunce Corner":)

I don't pay much attention to M* - a flawed organization with a flawed mission (plugging square pegs them into round holes). I'd dare say M* is to mutual funds what CNN is to "news."

Beyond that, T. Rowe Price is a first class organization. My biggest criticism is they have such a large stable of offerings it's hard to get to know all of them. And their forays into narrow sectors and segments is bound to hurt them when those areas turn and investors flee. Like most in the industry, they're very focused on cost cutting. This sometimes shows in frustrating phone encounters with inexperienced reps. It may take more than one call to resolve an issue. But, over the longer run ... they get it right.

Most investors would be wise to stick with Price's more conservative offerings and "funds of funds" where they traditionally boast industry leaders. Funds like PRWCX, PRSIX and TRRIX are among the closest things you'll find to "autopilot" investing.

For fees. Vanguard is hard to beat. For long term growth (with bumps) I like D&C. But for a good well-rounded investor friendly firm, Price leads the pack.