Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

And how some funds may be affected today. Yes, just one day; but a nasty looking graphic.....

edited December 2014 in Fund Discussions
Yes, tis only a partial day snapshot at 10:45 am, EST; but I view this page a few times each day and I have not seen such a nasty graphic of the combined global markets.....period.
For those not familiar with Google Finance's home page; view their global markets list, on the right side of the page.
At this point in time; investment grade bonds will be about the only friend to your monies.

WORLD MARKETS:

Google Finance Home Page

EDIT: per @hank and his note. "And how some funds may be affected today"; implied a specifc. The intention is more towards equity funds of just about any flavor at this time; although a continuation of so far today would allow one to discover how the equity futures/long-short funds are currently applying their monies based upon human thinking and/or the algo machine. And, of course; the inverse funds may end well today.

On the other hand, as the saying goes...........may be a buying opportunity in some sectors.

Well, best to all, with the monies.

Catch

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Hi Catch

How WHICH funds may be affected? I see categories of various investments. Maybe missing it - but no particular funds. Of course, an index fund would closely track its benchmark.

It would be interesting if some site would list individual funds (PRNEX or DODIX for example) and attempt to project the day's close based on available data. That's like trying to hit a moving target. There's the lag in a fund's reporting of holdings. And the markets changing constantly. You'd also have to factor in the effect of "fair value pricing" on certain international funds. But, would be interesting and shorter-term fund traders would have a ball.

Gold's moving up nicely as of recent. Wonder how much of that is the Greenspan effect? Oil is rebounding a bit today after hitting a 5-year low yesterday. I follow commodities a bit, and can tell you it's been rough across the board. Looking at Energy & AG one might conclude that we're about to cease both driving and eating.
    -
    PS: Wife says buy coca. She just ordered some Gardelli chocolates from Amazon. It's up 20-30% from month or two earlier. Go figure..
  • edited December 2014
    This doesn't seem like a high-conviction sell-off. Visa up, Apple up, a lot of things that would just continue to be dumped are being bought up.

I haven't noticed a disorderly rise in Cocoa this year, but maybe Amazon sellers raising prices into prime time?

If you want to invest in Cocoa, there's no real way to invest directly. Nestle/Hershey, but it becomes their success/failure in passing off price increases. Cocoa futures via an ETF, but so many commodity futures ETFs result in K-1s.